Did you worry about a 2nd child but end up thinking it was the best thing you ever did?

(12 Posts)
milkyman Wed 03-Feb-16 17:40:32

I have a 3.5 ds and so nervous about having my second child.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 03-Feb-16 22:35:07

My DS is 22 months old and this month me and DH are TTC for baby number 2 and I'm really nervous as well. I'm pretty sure it's natural to feel wary as this time round we know what we're letting ourselves in for. I'm sure everyone has moments of thinking "how will I cope" (I know I do) but somehow people do cope and so somehow I will too smile

CollieEye Wed 03-Feb-16 22:37:34

Absolutely the best thing ever! I was worried that our eldest wouldn't like the new baby, but he adored her from day one.

Go for it!

JasperDamerel Wed 03-Feb-16 22:39:04

I worried about how I would cope, but mostly that I would spoil things for DC1. I couldn't have been more wrong, as she has blossomed as a big sister and they adore each other to a surprising degree. They are now 9 and 6 and generally end up curled up asleep together in the bottom bunk most nights, comfort each other when one of them is upset, play crazy games together and generally adore each other.

Ihatechoosingnames Wed 03-Feb-16 22:43:52

Yes. DS was 23 months when DD was born. I felt so anxious and worried I'd made a mistake, I'd ruined his life and messed up the family. My worries were unfounded, DD is almost 4 months now, DS is 2.3 and (I know it is early days!) having them both is just the best!

I found being pregnant tough having a toddler around and the first week or so after DD was born my DS went so downhill with this behaviour - but he quickly accepted her, DD has slotted right in as if she was always here. She adores her big brother and always smiles at him, DS loves her too, he is always talking to her and patting her tummy grin

Anyway sorry for the ramble but I was so scared of having a second. But she just fitted in perfectly.

MrsFlorrick Wed 03-Feb-16 23:56:55

Absolutely. DD was almost 2 when DS was born. During my pregnancy with DS I was so worried about how I'd cope with two and whether I would let DD down or let the new baby down and not be able to give them both as much attention as I could have DD alone.

All sorts of worries. I couldn't get my head around it really.

Then DS was born and it was fine. Got into a great routine with them both. I won't say it wasn't hard with toddler and new born but newborns are hard.

DD is now 6 and DS is 4 and they are the best of friends. Play so well together and have so much fun.

They play lego and chase each other around. And games involving their teddies and comforters where they go on picnics and trips around the house and set up little tents made out of sheets etc.

They are both amazing. And very very happy that we went ahead and had a second.

Of course they can squabble and whine etc but mostly they get so much out of their relationship. It really makes both their childhoods to have each other.

And occasionally they gang up on mummy...

milkyman Thu 04-Feb-16 08:30:08

Feel so much better - have 9 weeks until dd born!

Whathaveilost Thu 04-Feb-16 08:33:21

Ds1 and 2 are 19 and 16 now.

I was nervous of getting pregnant with the second because I couldn't see how I could love another child as much as my first.
I didn't need to worry, my heart just expands making more love.

My two still fall out and squabble. But they are great!

Bertieboo1 Thu 04-Feb-16 08:37:03

I have a 2.2 year old and a 4 month old - we were really worried too. The first month was hard with feeding and my older son got weepy and clingy but since then it's been fine. It's so cute when the older one gives the younger one a toy or something smile

CatWithKittens Thu 04-Feb-16 09:36:18

Yes - and numbers 3, 4 and 5 as well!

LastOneDancing Thu 04-Feb-16 09:44:40

Such lovely stories!

My DC2 is due in 6 weeks (erk!) And DS will be 23m. I have been feeling very guilty that his cosy world is about to be shaken.

But DH and I are both only children so we are a tiny family - no aunties, uncles or cousins. I really really hope they get on and I don't do anything to unwittingly screw up their relationship with my lack of sibling experience confused

ingeniousidiot Thu 04-Feb-16 09:48:20

Everyone worries about the second. Everyone worries that it will disrupt life and/or be too difficult and that they can't/won't love it as much as the first. But everyone does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now