3yo extreme dressing tantrums- help!

(7 Posts)
Jammofifi Sun 24-Jan-16 16:51:57

My DD who turns 4 in May has hit some weird 'getting dressed' issue. Now, I know what you're thinking- give her a choice. Believe me, the choice is all hers, I don't care what she leaves the house in as long as its weather suitable i.e no bare legs in winter or sandals, that kind of thing, but this is extreme, she puts on, screams about, then takes off about 4 pairs of leggings or tights or trousers ( its always the bottom half ) inc socks, then refuses to wear anything, claiming its all too tight, or not tight enough. It started with Sock rage and has spread. I introduced a star chart, I've bought new baggier clothes in different styles, I walk away, I try to help, I lose my rag, the list goes on, she just wont respond to anything and on certain days I HAVE to leave the house by 8.30. HELP ANY ideas? ( should mention she's child no2 ) DS still just puts on whatever I throw at him on a morning with no fuss!!!

WhetherOrNot Sun 24-Jan-16 17:00:37

Take her out just as she is - she'll soon realise.

Jammofifi Sun 24-Jan-16 17:07:44

The problem there is I don't think she'd care! And we're talking pants with nothing else. Either that or she'd refuse to leave, I know this is 'just a phase' but it's seriously wearing me down! sad

booksrock Sun 24-Jan-16 17:11:17

Short term - would she wear a onsie just so you can leave on time - assuming it's just a school run and not a full day thing?

As its just the bottom half is a thick skirt /dress / dungerees an option?

hownottofuckup Sun 24-Jan-16 17:14:14

When I was little I was very sensitive about what I wore on my legs, especially during the winter when it was cold. I'd have preferred nothing then have to wear tights. It was a sensory thing and I'm still not totally over it. Could it be that?

hownottofuckup Sun 24-Jan-16 17:15:10

Leggings would have set me off too! Too much like tights.

Jammofifi Sun 24-Jan-16 17:21:34

hownottofuckup- thats really interesting actually, I had wondered whether it was a sensory thing, so I bought trackie bottoms instead of leggings but nothing seems to be 'right' might try an invest in a thick skirt and long socks!!! Once summer rolls round we'll be set ( and she'll be out of this phase probably by then anyway! )
Booksrock, have seriously considered onesies. I would be taking her to a full day of playgroup though- tbh they're used to her crazy ways lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now