Almost 3 year old with eczema/dry skin what helps?

(16 Posts)
lyssie29 Sun 17-Jan-16 20:57:17

Hi my daughter has had eczema and dry skin since she was born more or less. It went away fully last year but has just come back with a vengeance. Does anyone know of a really good bath oil I can use as she hates putting on creams. She went through a time where she "helped" put on her "magic potion" but it's not working this time. Thanks.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 17-Jan-16 21:02:46

Get an aloe Vera plant - it works wonders - aloe vera cream is expensive but works!!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 17-Jan-16 21:03:09

*sun cream

Wolfiefan Sun 17-Jan-16 21:06:01

She needs to get used to cream. Sorry. A decent emollient applied often enough is key.
Oats in bath water?
Aqueous cream as a soap substitute (never a cream though)

lighteningmcmama Sun 17-Jan-16 21:10:20

Aquamax is better than aqueous as it doesn't have SLS. Oats in bath are amazing. Get some cheap tights, cut them into strips, fill with acupful of oats and tie at each end, chuck one into a bath and squeeze alot. After bath chuck the oats away.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 17-Jan-16 21:11:03

DS eczema disappeared after 5 days of the plant - it's never come back!!

christinarossetti Sun 17-Jan-16 21:11:59

Aveeno skin products are oat based and very good for eczema.

You can get an oat solution to put in the bath, although ordinary oats tied in a muslin cloth work just as well.

Wolfiefan Sun 17-Jan-16 21:13:02

Lightning. Hadn't heard of aqua max. Can you get it over the counter?

Vinorosso74 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:59:17

My DD went through a phase at 3 of hating her eczema cream being put on but we persevered and she was ok with it eventally. There were a lot of strops mind. Can you use TV or something as a distraction? I found that did help a bit.
She uses an aqueous cream for washing in the bath, we did use oilatum in bath but that was making it worse (GP said they avoid prescribing oilatum now).
If it's any consolation my DD is nearly 6 and her eczema is way better than it was.

lyssie29 Mon 18-Jan-16 19:34:20

Thanks for the suggestions. I found some ointment in Holland and barret by pure potions so we are trying that. It's a tiny jar and it was £13 but the woman I talked to said it worked for her so I'm giving it a try. My daughter let me put it on her legs but not her arms for some reason. I'll keep trying though :-) I had never heard of using oats I'll give that a try thanks!

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 18-Jan-16 19:40:35

I've just started using doublebase dayleve gel on my eczema and my little boy's - it seems to be really helping. It looks like a weird texture in the container but it is very long lasting. I'll be getting more.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 18-Jan-16 19:41:49

I tried the pure potions one - it was okay, but something in it irritated my eczema patch on my forehead! I loved the smell and the texture of that one though. I ended up using it as a cuticle cream!

NewYearSameMe Mon 18-Jan-16 19:42:15

The thing that I found with DS's eczema is that I had to try lots of different things, and what worked really well for other people often didn't work at all for him. It seems to be one of those conditions that is different for different people. He did well with Aveeno and oats in the bath, but the biggest difference was changing his washing powder. When I was in the UK I used Filetti for his clothes and bedding. I also made sure that he only wore cotton next to his skin, no wool or synthetics. When I moved to Ireland I couldn't buy Filetti anymore, but M&S Sensitive (the pale blue box) was just as good. He grew out of the eczema, but he still reacts badly to ordinary washing powder so I have to wash his stuff separately.

Wolfiefan Mon 18-Jan-16 19:44:08

Also meant to say sometimes when kids don't want the cream on it is because it stings.
Emollients are really important but different ones suit different people. I use diprobase, kids use dermol and my mum uses doublebase.

AfroPuffs Mon 18-Jan-16 19:49:39

Short warm bath or shower, followed by coconut or jojoba oil (massaged into skin while wet)..then pat dry with towel. Lots of fish or fish oils to help skin from inside out.

williwonti Tue 19-Jan-16 22:10:20

Just back from having my child's skin photographed today st dermatology, to see if they can zoom in and see what's going on. After a year of trying out a lot, coconut oil really really helps. Buy big jar from holland & b and slather on after the bath

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now