Straw poll - how much do you play with your 3yo??

(7 Posts)
BotBotticelli Wed 13-Jan-16 22:00:28

My son (3.2yo) wants me to play with him all fecking day. Obviously I can't. I have chores to do. And need to feed/change/see to ds2 as well who is 5mo.

I have started using a kitchen timer with some success (I will play with him for 20 mins or so and when the buzzer rings I need to go and hang up the laundry/feed the baby/make the dinner). He accepts this but then follows me round whilst I do my chore and then begs me to come back and play awful interminable games with his fucking dinosaurs and trains as soon as I am finished.

And there's no chance of sitting down for 10 mins with a cuppa/book/mag or whatever. Oh no. If I am not cleaning or cooking something then I MUST be playing with him.

We go out the house a lot as you can imagine! Play dates, the park, play group, soft play, farms, woods etc. He is at nursery 3 days per week so is only home with me 2 days and then weekends as well when DH is here too (when he is almost worse cos he wants us to tag each other in and out of playing with him so we never get a bloody moments peace).

I wonder if this is partly because he goes to nursery a lot, so he is trying to wrong every last drop of attention out of me when he IS at home? <mummy guilt emoticon>

And of course the arrival of ds2 has been a big change for him. But this behaviour far pre dates the baby's arrival. He is just such fucking high maintenance. Was as a baby. Is now.

Is this in a scale of normal for a just turned 3yo? How can I deal with the crying, wailing if I say I need to do something for myself (God forbid!)

BotBotticelli Wed 13-Jan-16 22:01:34

Should have said wring every last drop

silverstreak Wed 13-Jan-16 22:04:11

Get him to help you?! smile he may then find solo dino-play somewhat more appealing....!!?

cornishglos Fri 15-Jan-16 14:38:41

This makes me feel a bit sad. Of course he wants to play with you. He's 3! What do you expect him to do otherwise? This is only 2 days a week and you get baby to yourself the rest of the time? Could you use those days to do the majority of the housework, leaving more time for you to play with your toddler when he's with you and enjoys your attention?

katienana Fri 15-Jan-16 14:47:56

I think it's pretty normal. Its also normal to want a few minutes to relax! My tip is to put the telly on for him.

Flingingmelon Fri 15-Jan-16 15:10:07

I'd definitely encourage him to join in. DS is 2.5 and he can help with laundry, he loves moving things out of the way when I Hoover, he'll dust etc. It's not a massive help obvs but he loves being involved and being with me.

Flingingmelon Fri 15-Jan-16 15:12:08

I know what you mean though. It's been a while since I've managed a wee on my own without a wailing child outside...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now