I need something to contain the new baby and keep older children from picking him up unsupervised

(13 Posts)
doceodocere Wed 13-Jan-16 07:15:00

I thought maybe a swing? I hate those things and how much room they take up and how hideous they are, but this time around I'm going to need to secure him from the loving attentions of his older siblings for short periods of time so I can get the tea on or whatever.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 13-Jan-16 07:16:54

travel cot/play pen

VegasIsBest Wed 13-Jan-16 07:16:58

I used to wear a baby sling a lot when my second was born. It meant I could get on with things and have my baby close - chat away to him etc.

Fairylea Wed 13-Jan-16 07:18:52

Play pen - we got ours from kiddiecare and it was great.

Topsy34 Wed 13-Jan-16 07:19:28

A sling! Go for a stretchy like a moby or woven, or mei tai.

If you go with buckles make sure its wide based, not narrow like baby bjorn

poocatcherchampion Wed 13-Jan-16 07:20:18

Pram or pushchair that you will already have?

doceodocere Wed 13-Jan-16 07:34:00

Thanks for these ideas.

I have many slings and use them a lot, but I'm not particularly happy about doing so whilst cooking.

I could use the pram, it's a muddy outdoor beast though so I don't especially want it in the living space which is no outdoor shoes etc. Perhaps I could borrow a spare from someone for indoor use only.

I think a play pen or travel cot will work later on.

I have a bouncy chair but it's a weird trendy design and a bit too upright for the newborn stage.

Artandco Wed 13-Jan-16 07:36:35

Stokke Tripp trapp with baby seat. High up, and can use at the table when you eat also. Just take baby seat off and you have the full Tripp trapp highchair from weaning onwards

Pointlessfan Wed 13-Jan-16 07:37:44

I suppose it depends what you are cooking, I can see why you wouldn't want the baby in a sling while cooking a stir fry but something where you chop up the ingredients then stick in a pan/the oven and leave it to cook should be safe enough.

MaisieDotes Wed 13-Jan-16 07:41:36

Hmm, I'm about to face this issue too. So far I've got:

Old pram for inside (had to get a double to use going out) which I'll use for daytime naps as I did with my other two.

Bouncy chair that reclines well (I think it's a Chicco one?). I have a large kitchen table so I figure if necessary I can put the chair up in the table on a rubber mat so there's no chance of it shifting. Obviously this won't be safe once the baby can actually bounce the bouncy chair, but it will stop DS being able to reach the baby.

RudyMentary Wed 13-Jan-16 08:02:46

I used a playpen with bassinet

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Wed 13-Jan-16 08:06:57

Bouncy chair or carry cot / Moses basket in playpen. I did this to keep DTs and dog seperate when I was cooking etc.

amarmai Fri 15-Jan-16 22:55:40

do you have a sling that can sit around your back-as wd make cooking safer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now