breastfeeding question

(20 Posts)
Kcat78 Sun 10-Jan-16 10:25:59

Hi, please forgive my ignorance for this question! I bottle fed by now 8 yo DD but am planning to bf my one due in May. I read on here earlier about 'milk not coming in until around day 3' so I am wondering what they survive on before that?? I've not done any research as I'm still petrified something will go wrong following 4 previous pregnancy losses but my curiosity has got the better of me! Thank you

Moojay Sun 10-Jan-16 10:35:45

So you produce something called colostrum for the first few days which fills baby tummy up nicely. He/she will feed on and off constantly to encourage your milk to come in, it's not because they are starving I promise!
Your breast will swell with milk around the 2-4th day after birth, you'll feel like Pamela Anderson until your baby has a good feed on both sides (always alternate sides for feeds, eg:left one feed. Then right the next).
After your milk comes in you need to try to feed baby on demand, this will help to regulate your supply over the coming weeks and months.
If you really want to bf, do not supplement with a bottle until your established with bf, normally around 8-12weeks. Any other questions feel free to ask!
And congrats on baby!

Moojay Sun 10-Jan-16 10:38:00

Also, never feel like you're being ignorant by asking! Breastfeeding is different for everyone and its good to learn about it from other perspectives.
Good on you for giving it a go this time, but remember, if you don't get on with it then don't stress yourself 😊

grendeltimesthree Sun 10-Jan-16 10:39:19

I've breast fed three. Including two in tandem. So got the t-shirt. Milk available from moment of birth. I've breast fed a new born before I've delivered the placenta.
Main tip is 'relax' it isn't always easy and it doesn't always kick in straight away but if you are determined it is wonderful. I had to express and cup feed one of mine until he was big enough to latch on properly. Other two no problem at all.
Try and get some good support from a breast feeding counsellor.
You can do this.
More help here if you need it but I suspect you're being bombarded with advice.
😊

Diggum Sun 10-Jan-16 10:46:54

Here's a nice little graphic to reassure you they only need a very little colostrum/milk at each feed in the early daysflowers

Kcat78 Sun 10-Jan-16 11:22:24

Ah thank you very much - makes sense now! I didn't realise the colostrum lasted that long. Am definitely determined to try this time round although I must admit to my toes still curling at the thought of it and the words 'cracked nipples' send me hiding under the bed!!

Luckystar1 Sun 10-Jan-16 11:36:12

You can do it! When the baby first latches on and for a few seconds (it feels like longer...!) it will hurt - regardless of what anyone says, a good latch hurts until your nipples toughen up (they have never been sucked on constantly before - well mine hasn't... wink)

With every feed and every day, you and your baby will learn what you are doing (it's a 2 way process remember) and then, suddenly, it will be super easy!

There will be -many- moments when it seems too hard. The middle of the night especially. They will pass.

Kellymom is a great source of information. As is Mumsnet. And remember, every latch doesn't look like the one in the book. Get what works for you and your baby.

Very, very best of luck with the birth and your new journey!

hownottofuckup Sun 10-Jan-16 11:42:04

I really recommend the Lanolin nipple cream if you have any problem with your nips, it worked a treat for me when DS had a tongue tie and I got mastitis, took the edge off and we got through it.

Luckystar1 Sun 10-Jan-16 11:49:23

^^ agree! I used this for every single feed from the very first feed and never suffered with bad nipples. I'd also recommend regular 'airing'... But perhaps leave that for when you have no visitors!!

ThePug Sun 10-Jan-16 13:04:22

I'm due baby #1 in 7 weeks and just had a breastfeeding session as part of our NCT class. Before this I was pretty much clueless! We were given this booklet which I found really useful

realbabymilk.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/RBM-Ess-Guide-Gen-A5-2015-web-1.pdf

ShowOfHands Sun 10-Jan-16 13:10:41

Breastfeeding does NOT always hurt. Sometimes it hurts at the very beginning of a feed and it's not a latch issue and there's no problem. I had no pain at all with ds though. I made the mistake of thinking pain with dd was normal. It wasn't. I nearly lost a bloody nipple!

If it hurts, check your latch. Don't just blindly accept it. It might just be a forceful letdown or similar but do make sure.

imwithspud Sun 10-Jan-16 13:27:50

For me, breastfeeding hurt both times in the beginning despite there being no issues with latch, I also had the cracked nipples too. It only lasted a week with dd2 (I forget how long it was with dd1 but it can't have been too long) and now at 7months we are still going strong and it doesn't hurt at all.

My advice would be that if it does hurt, get your latch checked just to be sure. But if there are no problems with latch or tongue tie etc then remember it does get better! I second lansinoh cream, it's expensive but so worth it!

Focusfocus Sun 10-Jan-16 13:28:15

No it doesn't always hurt, not sure why people say that it always does.

12 weeks in with my first and it has t hurt not even once even in the early days. And no visible evidence on nipples of anything because baby has no contact with the actual nipple. A large chunk of brown areola goes inside his mouth smile

Kcat78 Sun 10-Jan-16 14:29:47

Thank you for all your advice smile

Vinorosso74 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:08:36

I know this isn't answering your original question but find a breastfeeding support group local to you. They are often in places like Children's centres. Your midwife or HV may give you leaflets on them. I found mine so helpful, I gained a great understanding around what to expect with breastfeeding what's usual and became confident to answer to any negative comments.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 10-Jan-16 20:03:30

This group is fantastic and has such great information and advice/support

m.facebook.com/groups/704063273011409?ref=bookmarks

whatsoever Sun 10-Jan-16 23:34:40

It does always hurt for the first few weeks for some people. Loads of people I know give up because they're told if it hurts something is wrong, and then get despondent & frustrated when nothing is wrong but it still hurts. I think the usual 'Shouldn't hurt at all' advice is unhelpful. Obviously great luck to those who find it easy & pain free from day 1 but that shouldn't be the expectation.

I used Lansinoh after every feed for about 5 or 6 weeks until my nipples toughened up then one day realised I hadn't used it for several days as it didn't hurt any more. Nothing wrong with DS's latch or anything else. Still sore. Much improved after that (bar a brief chomping phase when teeth arrived).

Hellochicken Sun 10-Jan-16 23:48:02

Generalisation but for my last 3 of 4 babies

- For the first 24 hours they are quite sleepy
- for the next 24 hours they feed quite often/ seem hungry - this is good as it stimulates milk for . . .
- day 3 when milk comes in

Then there is a tricky time when you are getting them to feed enough to clear the milk but at times they still seem a little hungry! I probably have made it sound worse than it is but it sorts itself out!

eatsleephockeyrepeat Tue 12-Jan-16 21:01:00

I can't believe no-one's mentioned it; when your milk comes in YOU SMELL LIKE CHEESE!!!

Boosiehs Tue 12-Jan-16 21:06:55

When your milk comes in, Put cold savoy cabbage leaves in your bra!

Seems wierd, but it was a freaking lifesaver along with lansinoh nipple cream!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now