Book to read with my 10 year old son!

(14 Posts)
startingallover Fri 08-Jan-16 22:11:03

Hi everyone. My ten year old is feeling nostalgic and left out because I don't read him a bedtime story : )). I have told him we will go to the book store in the morning and buy a book to read together. Just wondered if anyone had a book to recommend for us. He is very much into humour or history. I would like something quite easy reading. Any thoughts appreciated.

VinoEsmeralda Fri 08-Jan-16 22:16:24

Goodnight Mr Tom
Kensuke's kingdom
The boy in the blue striped pj's

Are ones we both enjoyed.
Im currently reading my 10yr old the curious incident of a dog at nighttime

ScarlettDarling Fri 08-Jan-16 22:17:43

What about the Mr Gum books? They are hilarious and a real easy read.

Kbear Fri 08-Jan-16 22:22:16

Holes
War Horse
Private Peaceful

uhoh2016 Fri 08-Jan-16 23:35:34

My 9yo is in to Roald Dahl, diary of a wimpy kid and the David Walliams books

3rdrockfromthesun Sun 10-Jan-16 16:52:11

The hobbit

BlueChampagne Mon 11-Jan-16 13:09:40

Terry Pratchett for humour? He has written some children's books.
Sherlock Holmes short stories, eg Silver Blaze?
Roman Mysteries?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 11-Jan-16 13:12:38

I would say Terry Pratchett's Johnny books - there are 3 of them. One of them in particular (Johnny and the Bomb) is historical because it involves time travel back to the second world war. They're all funny, IMO (sort of modern-day Just William style). Johnny is around the same age as your DS, so that works well too.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 11-Jan-16 13:15:07

Scroll down to the reviews - sorry it's Amazon!

MummyPig24 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:51:31

8yo ds1 like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and David Walliams books, he's just read Ratburger.

A while ago I read him Danny Champion of the World. It's a shame as he isn't keen on me reading to him, he prefers to read to himself although I would dearly love to share a book with him.

I'm hoping to persuade him to read the Harry Potter books together and perhaps the Narnia series. What about Stig of the Dump?

BlueChampagne Wed 13-Jan-16 13:20:58

Gerald Durrell might appeal?

GotABitTricky Sat 23-Jan-16 21:53:47

any of the handful of David Walliams books available.

or Diary of a Whimpy Kid.

startingallover Sun 24-Jan-16 01:04:08

Thanks for all these great ideas. I have listed them all. At the moment we are reading Time Travel with a Hamster. It was only published this month and it's really fitting the bill for us. We've read the Mr Gum and David Walliams. You're right - they're great!!!

ladybird69 Sun 24-Jan-16 01:09:04

you must read skulduggery pleasant series. absolutely fantastic books for you and your son. a real joy to read. such fun. enjoy 😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now