Swimming with 5 week old

(10 Posts)
Trace38 Wed 06-Jan-16 15:13:39

Hi we are due to take our dd to a baby class in the swimming pool today but she sounds bubbly when she's breathing as I breastfeed. I'm worried she might be a bit chesty with a bit of a cold. Should I still take her? First time mum here!

ODog Wed 06-Jan-16 21:20:52

Trust your instincts here. My DS is older now (19mo) but I have always taken him swimming with a cold if he is well in himself from when he started lessons at 6mo (eg playing/eating normally). Just watch out for blue lips and/or other signs they are ready to finish (teacher should be able to advise) and get out early if need be with a warm towel and a nice big feed. Luckily DS is at an age where he just tells me he is done now!

Ellieboolou27 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:29:08

I would take a five week old swimming the chlorine is very strong and all those germs in a public pool, I'd wait till she has her first set of jabs and just have a nice warm bath with her, at 5 weeks it's a bit much for a newborn me thinks grin

Ellieboolou27 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:10:10

Meant would not! Sleep deprived mum of two lol

knaffedoff Thu 07-Jan-16 21:17:51

Many public pools won't admit before immunisation and ime babies often get cold quickly so at 5 wks 20 mins in the pool will be plenty, so it's going to be a huge faff getting changed etc !

MintSource Fri 08-Jan-16 09:39:33

Another one feeling 5 weeks is too little. I waited until after jabs.

But generally, I have and do take DS when he has a cold.

He had one of those neoprene full suits on when he started as tiny ones do get cold very fast, even in a warm pool.

CurlsLDN Fri 08-Jan-16 09:59:12

I agree with pp, 5 weeks is very very little. I took ds a few times within the first six months and each time it wasn't worth it! Hr got cold v quickly, was overwhelmed by the pool, and screamed all the time I was trying to dry and change him/myself.
Have a warm bath together in the comfort of your own home, you'll achieve a lot more in terms of bonding, her having a lovely time etc, but without all the hassle and the possibility of making a cold worse

Penfold007 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:16:05

Babies under six months should not swim in water less than 32 degrees C. You shouldn't go in a swimming pool until six weeks after giving birth, longer if you had stitches or c-section.
Follow your instinct and let baby's chest clear.

Trace38 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:37:48

Hi all, we didn't go and have rebooked onto the next term after Easter. Thanks for the advice!

knaffedoff Fri 08-Jan-16 23:36:01

Thanks for the update, enjoy swimming after Easter smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now