Playpens

(15 Posts)
changingagain Thu 31-Dec-15 19:18:08

What is the general consensus on the use of playpens?

We live in a small flat with an open plan living room / kitchen. We have cupboard locks but the main kitchen area is still open. Things such as computers with all their cables are also in the room and so I think, when DS starts crawling, it would be much safer to be able to put him in a pen if I have to stop watching him for a bit (going for a wee or getting the washing out for instance). The problem is, it would take up all the free space in the middle of the room and so I would have to put him in it every time I put him down to play.

I don't see a problem with him being in it for short periods of time but if he spends his play time in it too, will it restrict him too much? Obviously once he can walk we will have to take him out to the park or somewhere for him to run around but I can't think if anywhere safe to take him to give him a bit of freedom while he's crawling.

m33r Thu 31-Dec-15 19:23:50

I have no experience of this but my sil had one running around the perimeter of the whole room so it was about an inch in from plugs etc which gave my nephew the whole room. Could you do that? Also you could have a wee door section so you could swing it open when you're there opening out into more 'dangerous' areas ...

changingagain Thu 31-Dec-15 20:16:13

Thanks m33r, I don't see how we could do the whole room but I guess we could just have one with a door that's open most of the time.

megletthesecond Thu 31-Dec-15 20:20:13

Very useful items and a lifesaver for when you need to nip out of the room.

GlitteryFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 20:25:26

We've never used one. But we had a jumperoo that was used for things like that is need a wee - he goes in it.
As he's got older (16mo) he knows what he's allowed to touch and not allowed to touch (mostly- he still pushes his luck every so often) so I can leave him alone in the room whilst I nip out BUT I've made the room safe - cables tacked to wall so no strangling, furniture anchored to wall so can't fall on him, reachable drawers/cupboards don't contain things he can choke on etc.

BabyGanoush Thu 31-Dec-15 20:26:22

Best thing ever with open plan living

How else will you ever be able to shower or cook?

Artandco Thu 31-Dec-15 20:26:40

In a small flat I wouldn't tbh as like you say will take over whole room.

Instead just find ways to move other stuff like cables and move dangerous things like knifes/ chemicals out of reach. Everything else is just annoying but not actually dangerous to touch.

Put him in laundry basket when you do laundry!

It's takes a few weeks of tedious ' no, don't touch,' and moving them away but in the long run much easier as they don't touch random stuff, and dangerous stuff moved anyway

Artandco Thu 31-Dec-15 20:28:12

Shower - take in bathroom with you and close door if alone. Give bath toys to play with

Cook - put baby in highchair, or do when he's happily entertained or asleep. For dinner prep he can crawl by feet, it's just when hot pans on you want them away

SisterViktorine Thu 31-Dec-15 20:29:21

Could you get one of those 'fence' baby gates down the middle of your open plan space and baby proof one side? You could have the computer on the non-baby proofed side.

SisterViktorine Thu 31-Dec-15 20:32:11

This sort of thing?

Penfold007 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:39:11

I used a playpen for short periods with my DCs and it was a godsend. I could keep DC safe but nip to the loo, kitchen, door or whatever. I have a much treasured photo of my DSis who had had enough of my DC climbed into the playpen with her coffee and a magazine.

blamethecat Thu 31-Dec-15 20:41:00

We had a travel cot, popped Ds in it if I had to nip to do something like wee, put dinner on, answer door etc. Only for a few minutes at a time. Then put the toys in it at night and took it away when needed for him to sleep in.

Binkybix Fri 01-Jan-16 07:43:29

I loved mine and will get it out again when the new one gets bigger. Only used occasionally, and put special toys in there to make it a treat. He often chose to go in there!

eurochick Fri 01-Jan-16 08:28:19

We used a travel cot but she wasn't in it that much, just when we needed her somewhere contained and safe while we did something.

jaggythistlez Fri 01-Jan-16 20:53:03

We had a play pen for DC1, but just used a travel cot for DC2. It was easier to move around and kept him safe while taking the older one to the toilet etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now