How to deal with piles of stuff?

(8 Posts)
AngelDog Thu 26-Nov-15 20:48:30

My 3 y.o. is obsessed with a transporting schema. He collects things and makes great piles of them in the 'holiday destination' (a big heap in a corner or behind some furniture). Sometimes it's a train, not a holiday destination, but it always involves huge quantities of clutter dumped in a heap.

We've lost half the pieces to almost all our board games that way. Ditto pegs from the washing basket and other useful items. He also collects timetables from trips out with grandparents and other bits of paper rubbish which become distributed right across the living room.

I've recently gone for a clear-the-decks Montessori style approach to the living room, putting most of the toys upstairs and having just a small number out. I've moved most of the books to higher shelves and put a small number out where theyr'e easily accessible. Result? He and his brother (nearly 6) climb on chairs etc to reach the books on the top shelves, throw them all on the floor and then pile them all in the 'holiday destination'. hmm

Any tips on surviving this, apart from removing everything from his reach? I need a way for the evening's tidying to be a lot, lot faster than it is right now. It's not a phase he's going to grow out of any time soon, as it's been going for at least 9 months so far.

Artandco Thu 26-Nov-15 21:41:43

Just move stuff actually out of his reach you don't want home to have

Then get him and sibling to tidy it up before dinner time everyday. Their mess, they tidy.

KatyN Thu 26-Nov-15 21:55:44

Can he not have a set of stuff to move?? So the washing pegs and maybe the coppers jar?
But definitely he tidies them away before bedtime/tea time. No negotiating on that
K

RachelZoe Fri 27-Nov-15 11:58:43

He needs to have set stuff to use. He needs to learn what is to be played with and what isn't. Putting things out of reach only adds an additional problem of them climbing up.

Mine loved playing "going on holiday" so we got them small suitcases to play with and they could fill them with their play things, could that be an option?

Also for more general piles of stuff, things like this

www.howkapow.com/play-go-green-diamond-playmat?gclid=CIKCp4vGsMkCFUESGwod-iwItg

are amazing

Lilipot15 Fri 27-Nov-15 20:30:22

I've seen that howkapow drawstring bag mat thing linked before. I like the idea but I'm afraid each time I've looked at the pictures it's sent shivers down my spine making me worry about a strangulation hazard. Are they safe? What ages are they for?
Now I'm worried that this has made me anxious and I don't normally see hazards like that!

AngelDog Sun 29-Nov-15 22:32:52

A mat would be a brilliant idea - and suitcases would be good too! What we really need is a way to make tidying up faster, because it is the biggest flash-point in our house, especially since DS2 is grotty at that time of day due to having recently stopped napping.

Enjoyingthepeace Mon 30-Nov-15 11:35:24

Give gin a decent time sized storage box. With a lid. He can fill it up with anything he wants but the deal is that it must be all put away neatly after use and the lid must be able to shut

Enjoyingthepeace Mon 30-Nov-15 11:37:15

A suitcase will look messy. Go for a nice storage box. A bag has to be emptied to explore what's in it whereas a box doesn't.

My son is a hoarder. I'm the polar opposite. We Have A Box. It's his business what goes in it but everything must go in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now