Dd has either hand foot and mouth or chicken pox. Need your tips on keeping her comfy.

(8 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Mon 09-Nov-15 10:53:00

Dd is 10 months old. It started out with a few spots around her mouth yesterday and spread down her arms and legs but none on trunk or anywhere else on her face. Her throat looks a little sore and her appetite isn't as good as usual. I've been dousing her with calomine lotion but the poor thing is miserable and hardly slept all night because of the discomfort.

Rang the doc this morning and he says it's either hfm or cp and that he will see her tomorrow if the rash hasn't improved by then. Any advice on keeping her comfortable and happy? I'm wary of giving her paracetamol unless it's absolutely necessary because she is allergic to ibuprofen so I am limited in the amount of doses I can give her per day. Also, how can I stop everyone else in the house picking it up?

NickNacks Mon 09-Nov-15 10:56:48

I would say this is a time when it's absolutely necessary and you need to give her paracetamol. Poor thing. Hope she's better very soon.

Squishyeyeballs Mon 09-Nov-15 11:05:25

Thanks nicknacks. It's an awful dose sad The only thing I'd be worried about with the paracetamol is that you can only give it 4 times in 24hrs so if she develops a fever later on, I would have less doses to get her temperature down iyswim. I gave her some last night at bedtime and it didn't make much difference but I will give her some now, hopefully it will ease her discomfort a little.

ffffffedup Mon 09-Nov-15 12:07:07

You can get baby Piriton to help with the itching also few lukewarm baths so she can have a splash about the water will ease the itching.

Keep her towels blankets separate from the rest of the family to try stop it spreading around the house

KatyN Mon 09-Nov-15 12:26:59

I would spend as much time in the bath as you can. When my son had cp he lived in the paddling pool for a couple of days.
Have you cut her fingernails?? That would stop her breaking the rash if she is scratching?
K

Millionprammiles Mon 09-Nov-15 14:12:44

If its hfm we found Sudocream really helped dry up the blisters so they were less inflamed/itchy.
And fridge cold soft food/drink (nothing acidic or too sugary).

Poor thing, hfm is by far the worst illness dd has ever had.

cosmicgirl99 Mon 09-Nov-15 14:17:28

Hf&m is the worst thing my daughter had as a baby. And both myself and husband caught it too so be extremely careful with nappy changes, towels, hand washing as it is present in their poo for ages sad

SweetAdeline Mon 09-Nov-15 14:21:11

Ditch the calamine lotion it can be drying which makes the itch worse. We found poxyclin mousse worked well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now