My 10mo baby can't handle a size 3 teat....

(13 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Thu 01-Oct-15 08:19:57

I breast fed my baby for 9.5 months so bottles are fairly new to us. She's currently using size 2 teats. If we use size 3 she dribbles water/milk EVERYWHERE!

What is the best course of action? Keep giving her a size 3 until she learns to cope with the flow and endure the mess/soaking wet baby or for an easy life just stay with a size 2, potentially forever????

(Have visions of her sipping champagne through a size 2 teat at her wedding...)

0ddsocks Thu 01-Oct-15 08:26:09

I don't think i ever went over size 2 teats for my two, they never seemed to be able to handle the flow of the bigger ones. Unless she's frustrated with slow flow or collapsing the size 2s then I'd stick with them for now

Bellyrub1980 Thu 01-Oct-15 08:36:00

Ah ok, that's good to know. At what age did they start using a sippy cup?

Artandco Thu 01-Oct-15 08:40:45

Does she need a bottle at 10 months? If she isn't used to having I would just give in a beaker or cup. At that age mine used a doidy cup

BrianButterfield Thu 01-Oct-15 08:42:53

I don't see why she needs a bigger teat. Neither of mine ever liked bottles much. 10 months is an ok age to start giving sippy cups, you can get ones with silicone spouts or straw tops but usually you need to try a few!

0ddsocks Thu 01-Oct-15 09:15:47

They both started using a sippy cup for water from about 6 months. I think my daughter stopped using a bottle for milk at about a year. My son still uses a bottle for his bedtime milk and he's 20 months as milk in a sippy cup is SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE apparently confused

Bellyrub1980 Thu 01-Oct-15 09:19:34

She can already drink from a sippy cup but it's very very messy!! I have about 20 different ones and I think the flow on all of them is too fast so she keeps dribbling out the excess (and often spits it out!). She finds bottles with size 2 teats easy and no dribbling.

Should we keep practicing with faster flow and sippy cups??

nephrofox Thu 01-Oct-15 09:21:22

Why bother stressing? She's a baby. Giver her a size 2 teat. It's really no big deal. This time next year she'll be drinking from a normal cup and you'll be wondering what you worried about

slightlyconfused85 Thu 01-Oct-15 09:52:19

My first never moved up from a 2. We also ditched the bottle and went for the sippy cups at 11 months- could you just go straight to that?

ODog Fri 02-Oct-15 06:34:51

My DS is 16mo and was BF for 6months. He is still uses size 2 teats. Their sucking technique is stronger if BF so no need to go up to size 3 if not needed. I also know he should be using a beaker but that's another thread

Scattymum101 Fri 02-Oct-15 10:45:21

I never went onto a size 3 teat.

I stopped giving bottles at around 15 months for bedtime as she never got the hang of milk from a doidy cup for ages. She went off milk a bit after that but she was eating lots of cheese and yoghurts so I didn't worry too much.

At 10 months I would just keep going with a size 2 and offer water in a doidy cup til she's gets the hang of it more X

Bellyrub1980 Fri 02-Oct-15 23:15:33

Ok, thanks for the reasurrance!

Once again I'm trying to progress my baby to the next step.... Not really sure why!

Oh god, am I going to be a pushy parent?

Scattymum101 Fri 02-Oct-15 23:19:46

I think society encourages us to 'push on' mostly due to manufacturers finding ways to convince us we need to buy new things.

Follow on milk, next size up car seat at 9 months, cruising shoes before walking shoes - they're all ploys to get us to buy more shit we don't need.
Even having the pre packaged weaning foods labelled with ages gives out the message that we 'need to move on' or start at a certain time.

Don't worry about it or beat yourself up. You're doing the right thing by checking and you responded to your baby's needs by recognising that the size 3 teat wasn't working instead of insistently continuing because it said so on the tin.

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now