7 month old can roll but doesn't

(7 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Mon 28-Sep-15 12:10:43

Dd rolled from front to back at 9 weeks and did so daily for a few weeks but has only done it a handful of times since. She rolled back to front at 4 months but has only done it 2 or 3 times since. She spends loads of time on her stomach and is raring to move and trying to crawl. At the moment she can pull herself around a bit on her tummy and when sitting she can shuffle backwards on her bum. But still no interest in rolling. Should I be concerned? Ds was rolling from one end of the room to the other by 5 months, it was his first mode of transport. I've tried putting toys etcout of reach but she just pulls herself towards them rather than roll.

Highlove Mon 28-Sep-15 13:37:40

Mine rolled a handful of times at four months. Then not again till 11 months. I googled extensively and it seems it's not that unusual. I was still worried. At 18mo, though, she seems ok now - running everywhere etc, no physical problems whatsoever and generally seems pretty bright. She's a bossy little thing, but I don't think that's related. smile

TheOriginalWinkly Mon 28-Sep-15 13:40:41

My DD literally rolled once from front to back, and once from back to front and never did it again. She was crawling at 7.5m and walking confidently at 11m, so I wouldn't worry.

KP86 Mon 28-Sep-15 13:42:49

No need to worry. A lot of babies, after they master a skill, move on to the next thing. If DD has worked out that she can get around without rolling, then good for her. Especially since she is meeting other age-appropriate milestone I would not stress in the least.

BertieBotts Mon 28-Sep-15 13:44:57

I think it's normal. DS never used rolling as a method of transport. I don't think it occurs to all of them, or perhaps they think it's too much effort! DS used to crawl commando style until he actually got up on all fours.

Cel982 Mon 28-Sep-15 13:55:47

Mine never used rolling to get around, I can't remember when/if she ever did it at all. But she crawled at 9 months and walked at 12. All sounds normal to me.

Squishyeyeballs Mon 28-Sep-15 14:23:12

Brilliant that really puts my mind at ease thanks smile Highlove my little madam is a bossy little thing too (and she can't even talk yet, she just looks sternly at things she wants and shouts grin ) so maybe it is related grin

I have noticed she does seem the type to master things and move on, the complete opposite of how her brother was. But then again, he HATED being on his tummy so he learned to roll to escape that. She, on the other hand, loves being down on the floor because she sees her brother playing there all the time. She is meeting all of her milestones perfectly so I know I shouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now