Should I use bum cream?

(18 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 26-Aug-15 12:03:24

baby is only a week old and is just having the runny poops, hes breastfed. Should I be using a barrier cream? Midwife in hospital said no, NHS website says yes?

No sign of a rash etc but should I use it to prevent one?

I've been putting a little bit on his bum cheeks as a precaution.

What does everyone else do?

cookielove Wed 26-Aug-15 12:04:48

I only put cream on when Ds is red or sore smile

silverstreak Wed 26-Aug-15 12:07:18

Would treat if a rash appeared but not as a preventative..... Birth mine had runny poos for a long time but never resulted in any kind of rash as they got changed pretty soon after (smell gives it away quite quickly!)! smile

PotteringAlong Wed 26-Aug-15 12:09:14

If there's not a problem then it's not a problem! I agree, not preventative. Just leave it. Your baby will be having runny poos for at least the next 6 months.

Congratulations on your baby flowers

Indulgingmum Wed 26-Aug-15 12:10:00

No. Not unless the skin is affected. Just ensure the nappy is changed regularly and his wee skin is cleaned. X

MrsBojingles Wed 26-Aug-15 12:33:36

Only if the skin is sore wink

featherandblack Wed 26-Aug-15 13:56:44

If it's red I put sudacrem on. If not, I put vaseline on as a barrier. If it's dry, E45. Seems to work!

ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 26-Aug-15 14:06:58

Thank you, I wasn't sure, it's the sneaky little poops in the middle of the night in between feeds I was worried about being next to his skin. I'll just keep him clean, obviously, and just keep and eye on it.

Amy12345 Wed 26-Aug-15 14:25:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 28-Aug-15 14:42:52

What was deleted? I feel paranoid now that I've asked something stupid!

PotteringAlong Fri 28-Aug-15 19:14:48

There's no such thing as a stupid question, especially when you're in the first few weeks of your first baby. The only daft thing is worrying about something for ages when you could ask mumsnet grinflowers

wotamidoing Fri 28-Aug-15 19:38:14

Also don't think bum cream necessary unless there's an actual rash. Just make sure skin is nice and dry before putting new nappy on.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Fri 28-Aug-15 19:44:56

Baffled at the deletion. Troll? Don't feel paranoid, Cake. Perfectly sensible question!
I used to use barrier cream every nappy but now only if sore. if he's doing sneaky night poos then it might be a good idea before bed.

Blankiefan Fri 28-Aug-15 21:29:44

When / if you do use some, you only need the tiniest amount. Best tip I read was that you should be able to see the lines / tone / et. Of the skin underneath.

Also , if LO does at any point get nappy rash, yellow Metanium is amazing.

Fluffy24 Fri 28-Aug-15 21:32:39

Fresh air good for bums too, some bare bum time is really good.

Nottalotta Sat 29-Aug-15 23:15:31

I was told no need to use it by MW. However, having bought loads of cheap Bepanthen from Aldi, I gave it a go. Bum cleaning now much easier! I use a small amount to prevent poo sticking.

FrancesOldhamKelseyRIP Sat 29-Aug-15 23:20:54

I still have the original tube of Bepanthen which saw both my DC through all their nappies - I really ought to throw it out even though it's still half full.

I applied it only on the rare occasions that they got a bit red. But then I cleaned with cotton wool and warm water right up to pre-school.

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 30-Aug-15 07:04:55

Thank you for the reassurance. I've spend the last 9 months ''googling stuff' but it's very different now he's here!

I'm glad to have found mumsnet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now