Son starting nursery in a months time..

(10 Posts)
Pollyvictoria94 Sun 23-Aug-15 17:54:59

Hi,
My little boy is 8 and a half months and is due to start nursery at the end of September (when he will be 9 and a half months)
He will be doing four days and the nursery we have chosen is lovely and I feel very comfortable with it. However, I am absolutely petrified of the thought of him going. I have got so used to being off with him and have really been enjoying the last few months I really feel like I cannot cope with him going.
I had my first full day away from him yesterday whilst his dad took him out for the day and I even cried when he left ! I know I sound like a complete wet lettuce ! but I wondered if anyone had any tips/suggestions ? sad found it really hard being away from him.
Also, I should probably mention he's a really good baby, happy and content the vast majority of the time sleeps and eats great.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
X

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Aug-15 17:56:58

I found that I was so busy when I went back to work I didn't have time to miss DS. It'll be fine, I promise. The first couple of weeks may be tough, but you'll soon settle into your new routine.

NewBallsPlease00 Sun 23-Aug-15 19:01:55

Enjoy hands free and what you can get done when they're in good hands

Shnook Sun 23-Aug-15 20:18:06

Completely normal to feel like that. You've been with him every day since he was born and formed a special bond. You will find it difficult for the first couple of weeks but honestly it will get better - every day you'll feel a little easier dropping him at nursery, and you will start to find yourself enjoying a little bit of freedom. Every mum feels just like you when they first start leaving their little one with someone else. Good luck!

Littlef00t Sun 23-Aug-15 20:27:29

I presume you're going back to work, in which case you'll be well distracted and picking him up and seeing how happy he is will be great.

I found dd got more challenging at about a year, and having the cm taking her out and focusing on her having fun rather than me wanting to get chores done etc made me feel less guilty if we had quieter days.

My cm takes loads of photos to record the adventures she gets up to, which certainly assagues the guilt.

One thing it's important to remember is that babies have developmental stages, they sleep well then badly, they eat and behave well, but not always, they become clingy and whiny, It's not necessarily because 'you've abandoned' them. I rate the wonder weeks book, and find it helpful to identify a change in personality that is 'normal' and not due to a change in circumstances.

tea4two4three Sun 23-Aug-15 20:47:17

I am due back to work in a couple of months, and although I'm looking froward to some adult conversation and reclaiming 'me' I am heartbroken at the thought of someone else spending time and having moments with my DC. It will be split between nursery, DH, myself and MIL and it's the thought of passing him over to MIL that I am finding hardest.
I've also already started to worry about the morning rush rather than our leisurely pottering and sitting in Pjs watching kids TV. On top of that is the fear of being office bound when I've spent the last year outdoors and have never felt better, physically and mentally. My DH had 3months off with us and he really struggled going back, that was back in March and he still hates it now. Knowing how hard he finds it makes it worse, although I have a sneaky suspicion that once I'm back he won't feel like he is missing out so much and will settle.
I just keep telling myself that the majority of people do it and all my friends have a new found appreciation of work (life away from kids) and enjoying some headspace that doesn't involve having to be responsible for another being and their mess and whinging and tantrums. As other have said it's just another routine to get used to and once in the swing it will soon be forgotten what went before. I hope it goes well for you. I feel you pain x

timealone Sun 23-Aug-15 21:07:46

I went back three weeks ago and was feeling exactly the same as you. In fact, if you search, you'll see that I posted a couple of weeks ago on feeling quite sad during my first week at work.

So, yes, the first week was very tough. I missed DS more than I had anticipated. I kept looking at his photo on my phone and almost crying. However, it was a new job so an unfamiliar environment with new colleagues, so really I was dealing with two things at once.

The second week was better, and this last week has been much better. I am settling in more to my job and starting to enjoy being there. DS has stopped crying at nursery drop offs. In some ways I think he is better off there, as I find it hard work being out and about with him at this age (1 year) - he is crawling but not walking and therefore hates being in the pram or sling, but very few places are appropriate for him to be crawling around! Also, all of my friends with babies are now back at work so there isn't much of a social scene anymore, and I really needed that to stay sane on maternity leave.

lemoncordial Sun 23-Aug-15 21:24:14

My dd went to nursery at the same age. She's been at nursery 3 months now. I work full time. She's fine and I'm fine. I miss her loads. She's having a great time at nursery. I got used to being back at work really quickly.

Fluffy24 Sun 23-Aug-15 21:30:09

I was the same, kept getting really upset as the time got closer, it was horrific. My DS was 6 months old and going for 5 mornings a week initially.

Then he started nursery, gets on great, and it all seems fine! smile

Pollyvictoria94 Mon 24-Aug-15 08:12:10

Thank you everyone for your reassurance I'm going into the nursery today to arrange taster sessions, they will probably be beneficial to me aswell as my son !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now