I can't cope!

(6 Posts)
Laindon Fri 07-Aug-15 17:04:30

Sorry, the title is a little misleading as I can cope, but the dog doing this does make me want to scream! I know this is the parenting section but I thought I'd get some hands on tips for 'parenting' a dog.

My friend has gone away for 2 weeks and I agreed to look after her dog, of whom is lovely but proving to be a bit of a pain! He was dropped of 5 minutes ago (literally) and has already peed twice and had had a poo in the kitchen! How do I nip this in the bud? I was left with no warning that he did this, the only thing I was told is he sometimes has a wee in the bathroom if he's on his own for too long.

What do I do? Yes, he's frequently walked.

Hurr1cane Fri 07-Aug-15 17:05:15

Id repost in the doghouse. They're very good there

Sleepybunny Fri 07-Aug-15 21:03:42

Do you have a back garden? Take him outside every 15-20 min and let him have a sniff about. lots of praise when he pees outside etc.

He's probably just a bit unsettled. Try to keep to his normal routine of feeding and sleeping.

As a rule they'll need to go to the toilet about 30min after a meal. Or at least mine do anyway!

CainInThePunting Fri 07-Aug-15 21:08:21

Um, I'm of old school 'rub his nose in it and stick him outside'!

Am sure there are more accomplished trainers in the specific forum but I'd be keeping him outside until I heard from them. You might want to post in the 'doghouse' section!

Good luck smile

Laindon Fri 07-Aug-15 22:23:05

Thanks ladies, I can't do that because I don't have a garden and live in an upstairs flat ��

UghMug Fri 07-Aug-15 22:36:09

Did they leave a crate with the dog? The dog probably has separation anxiety and for my furry shit monster a crate (aka cage) was a godsend. Never leave the dog in a room on their own even attach their lead to your belt and take them everywhere, even to the loo. It will teach them you're the boss but also stop the toilet problems as they don't like being caught doing it. You may need to walk more often and squeal like an overexcited piggy at every dribble or squat. Failing that pee pads /everywhere/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now