Nausea with return of AF while BFing

(9 Posts)
Latium123 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:36:21

Anyone experienced this? I'm not sure where to post it as it doesn't fit under any of the topics very well. I am still BFing my DD (10 mo) and until Monday I had no period since before the pregnancy. DD has reduced her milk feeds to 3 a day just recently so i was thinking my period would probably come back at some point soon. I think it has come back but it is all a bit unusual. I had bad cramps for a few days and then some spotting only for the last two days. The problem is I have been experiencing very bad nausea which for all the world feels exactly like morning sickness did when I was pregnant. Nothing I do is making it any better and I'm feeling pretty dreadful and fed up. Is this just my hormones sorting themselves out? Is this normal do you think? I took a pregnancy test just in case but it was negative.

chumbler Wed 05-Aug-15 00:35:02

take another test? grin

or you could have a bug maybe? see your gp if it carries on

Meerka Wed 05-Aug-15 07:26:34

If a test came back negative, then there's a chance it could be hormones. BFing releases a surge of hormones as I understand it, and so does the TOTM.

People with severe pregnancy sickness do sometimes find surges of similar sickness when bfíng, or if they are overtired or at the TOTM. It's really annoying and not very pleasant! Maybe combining Bfíng and TOTM has triggered that in you.

If that's it, it should pass in a couple of days. It might or might not come back next TOTM but it should gradually weaken over the months as your body adjusts.

If it worries you though then do go to the doctor, aye

Latium123 Wed 05-Aug-15 08:14:16

Thanks both.

I do think it is most likely my body trying to bring my cycle back and the hormones are just making me feel sick (may be exacerbated by still BFing due to the crazy hormone mix). The spotting has gone away now and if it is AF it wasn't very much. If this nausea happens every month it will be a nightmare. May as well just be pregnant again! On that note, we are going to be TTC #2 soon anyway so if that is what is going on it would most certainly not be the end of the world smile.

I will wait a few days and if still feeling sick do another test.

seastargirl Wed 05-Aug-15 08:24:42

I had hg for first 12 weeks of pregnancy and then bad morning sickness for the rest of pregnancy, I now get morning sickness whenever I'm on my period, the doctor seems baffled and said hopefully it will stop eventually.

Latium123 Wed 05-Aug-15 09:53:49

Oh no Seastargirl poor you, that's awful. I guess I posted on here because I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this as I hadn't heard of it before but obviously it is a thing. I hope it does stop for you and soon.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 05-Aug-15 09:57:43

I am in the exact same situation; 10 month dd reducing feeds, feeling sick, cramping, negative test! No spotting here, but (TMI) lots of clear mucus very similar to pregnancy.

I wish af would hurry up so I knew where I stood!

Latium123 Wed 05-Aug-15 10:10:23

Ah Annoyed sounds like we are in exactly the same boat. I also had the mucus just prior to the spotting. All very strange! I think I'd be happy to be PG, it would be slightly earlier than we planned but hey ho. I would not be happy to feel this sick every time I get my monthlies however!! I suppose that might increase the motivation to get PG quick and just get on with it though, ha ha. I hope you get an answer soon too Annoyed.

Meerka Wed 05-Aug-15 11:30:08

If it's any help, starting to get myself fitter definitely helped me to some degree (it's amazing how much it's helped with a few complaints). Also stopping bf'ing helped once #2 developed teeth and an unstoppable urge to Bite.

But in the end it was simply time (for me).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now