Dummy

(10 Posts)
MissTwister Wed 29-Jul-15 18:56:37

I'm considering giving my 3 1/2 week old a dummy as she seems to comfort BF for hours without actually drinking - this is making my boobs sore and me very tired.

I just wanted to check about sterilising - obviously I would do this first but then how often do I need to redo it? For instance is it everything she drops it out at night or can you pop it back in after being in cot?

X

stressbucket1 Wed 29-Jul-15 19:35:36

I would use the same one overnight fine if been in cot swap if dropped on the floor. Change to a newly sterilised one in the morning.

Teeste Thu 30-Jul-15 08:10:05

I was wondering the same thing. Some folks say just suck it yourself, others sterilise each and every time (what a faff!). I compromised with Sanitising Water grin

Jennifersox Thu 30-Jul-15 09:04:34

I reckon if it touches something she might have in her mouth anyway (my hand, cot bedding, etc) it's ok but anything else (floor, other people's hands) I stick it in the steriliser and get a fresh one. I Carry around a big load in a sterilised box as ds spits his out all the time.

MissTwister Thu 30-Jul-15 16:00:40

It might be a moot point anyway as I can't get her to take the dummy. Any tips?!

nutmegandginger Thu 30-Jul-15 18:15:07

Is she deliberately spitting it out or just not able to keep it in? My dd wanted her dummy but it took her a while to learn how to suck it without letting it drop out of her mouth. I just kept on offering it and she got the hang of it (she was a bit older - more like 6 weeks).

On the sterilising, I don't see the point sterilising if it's just fallen into the cot (unless you've had a major poo leakage situation or something). Anything that's in the cot is going to get onto their hands and then into their mouths when they suck on their hands - and what would be in a cot that would need sterilising from anyway? I only sterilised (or just washed with soap and hot water) when the dummy fell on the floor or came into contact with something I knew was dirty. I didn't sterilise the dummy each day either unless I knew it needed it - more like every couple of days.

MissTwister Thu 30-Jul-15 19:22:21

She clamps her mouth shut. The only time we got it in she spat it out in a comedy manner!

Will keep trying

MummaV Fri 31-Jul-15 12:55:56

I have a Milton portable mini sterilizer. Pop a tablet and some water in it each day, keep one in there and one with the baby, swap as necessary. Sterile within 15 mins, perfect for out and about when the dummy flies out of the pram. Think it cost about £5.
At home I just wash it under the tap during the day, we dont wear shoes in the house and I hoover at least once a day so not really worried about nasties on the floor to steralise every time she drops it!

lexyloub Fri 31-Jul-15 13:09:55

Try different types of dummy miss they have different teats that don't always suit each baby

BabyMum1 Fri 31-Jul-15 15:50:23

Tommee tippy has sterilising wipes, very handy for everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now