meat when weaning??

(9 Posts)
lexyloub Thu 23-Jul-15 13:43:43

I'm about to start weaning ds3 what meats did you give your babies? From what I can remember with the older dcs I was told not to give chicken so young as it's stringy and easy to choke on.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 23-Jul-15 16:34:55

Chicken but I chopped it up finely before blending it. It doesn't do very well in a food processor.
Minced lamb and later beef for spag bol etc. Didn't do pork or fish for a long time due to concern about salt and allergies.

Shelduck Thu 23-Jul-15 22:00:52

I used to use minced beef, and minced turkey, which is a bit tastier than chicken. I did start off pureeing it, but it has a weird texture - although works better if you make a mixed puree (e.g. Turkey, sweet potato and apple works well). So i stopped pureeing it and just fried the minced beef or turkey and then mixed with vegetable purees. I also used lentils for protein, i seem to remember.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:48

I gave did strips of meat to chew on from 6 months. Have you found the weaning section yet lexy smile

Highlove Fri 24-Jul-15 11:40:24

I gave chunks of all kinds if meat from 6mo; never heard that chicken is a choking risk? I was - and at 16mo still am - a bit cautious about fish that might have bones in and spend ages checking for them. But do give in smallish lumps, too.

skankingpiglet Fri 24-Jul-15 15:30:23

I gave strips of meat from 6 months. DDs first taste was a long piece of DH's steak which she gummed into oblivion grin We were having a meal out and it kept her occupied and happy for the time it took us to eat our mains. Perfect.
I second worrying about fish bones too, and also spend ages checking even now at nearly 14 months. DD had fish and shellfish from 6ish months too.

skankingpiglet Fri 24-Jul-15 15:31:58

Sorry that should read strips of all meat

knittingbee Fri 24-Jul-15 17:47:24

DC2 is a total carnivore, she had strips of chicken, lamb, beef from about 7 months (after the initial veg and fruit purées at 6 months). Mince in spag bol too of course. Only thing I didn't give her much of was pork as that tends to be tough and harder to eat with a lack of teeth!

squizita Mon 27-Jul-15 11:03:16

If you have a slow cooker it makes meat very tender and easy to chew. I shred it again too (or dd stores it in her check then spits it out onto my boob pre milk feed - like old gum. shock confused ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now