Dd 11 very hormonal with periods. Help

(7 Posts)
voluptuagoodshag Wed 22-Jul-15 14:10:44

Life a bit of an emotional roller coaster just now. We knew she was hormonal and her dreadful moodswings reflects this. Her periods started last month. She's just in the middle of her second one and it's been very heavy. The mood swings are extreme. We are all emotionally drained but me especially as I bear the brunt of it. I know it's only to be expected and my heart goes out to her as she seems so young, almost like her brain hasn't developed at the same rate as her body to be able to cope.
she has been waking with bad dreams and I go through to comfort her and it's all 'love you Mummy'. When ai try to talk to her about it all she goes off on one 'don't you ever listen to me, I hate you' then she puts her fingers in her ears and says she's not listening. It's like being caught in an emotional pinball machine.
Her cramps have been really bad this time and doc says to give her ibuprofen. Also said it would hopefully settle down but if it doesn't, then sometimes prescribing the pill does. Anyone have experience of this? She just seems so young. Will wait a few months but don't honestly know how my nerves will cope.

voluptuagoodshag Wed 22-Jul-15 16:42:57

Bump

BlueThursday Wed 22-Jul-15 17:11:16

i don't have any experience but looking at diet can help. Keep caffeine at a minimum, lots of water and calcium can help.

If DD is reluctant to eat specific things would a multivitamin be useful?

Yes to ibuprofen, it can slow down the blood flow

Other than that, some cake and wine for you!

knittingbee Wed 22-Jul-15 17:40:18

Oh yeah I was like this. Same age when I started. I really wasn't prepared, I was still into playing pranks and cuddly toys sad

I took Feminax and ibuprofen, that helped, and my GP prescribed mefenemic (??sp) acid for the pain too. But the best thing was the Pill. I have no idea whether a doctor would give that to such a young girl, my sister started taking it at 13 for the same reason.

I was regularly off school for the whole week with cramps and heavy bleeding though, it is miserable. She's very lucky to have you as a mum, looking out for her. My mum to me to shut up and get on with it...

knittingbee Wed 22-Jul-15 17:42:06

BTW I only started taking the Pill at 17 and I wish to god I'd started sooner. Hence my little sis started taking it as soon as I preached its wonders to her!

marmaladegranny Wed 22-Jul-15 17:47:28

My daughter was in a mess with her periods when she first started, but I cannot remember how old she was - maybe 14. She had awful cramps, sickness and fainting - nothing worked until GP eventually prescribed the pill which sorted it out and she has never looked back.
Surely a doctor would not have a problem prescribing it to your DD for a medical reason rather than contraception.

voluptuagoodshag Wed 22-Jul-15 20:53:17

It was my friend, who is a sexual health doctor, who suggested it. I'll give it a few more months as this is only her second one but if we keep waking up to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre then I'll give anything a go for her sake. Thanks for keeping me sane. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now