Next big baby/toddler purchases 12-24 months?

(11 Posts)
WhiteIcedCaramels Sun 05-Jul-15 14:21:20

Having a baby has been cheaper than I expected (although my cake/chocolate spending has dramatically increased!) and I'm now trying to plan financially for 12-24 months and beyond. I'm trying to figure out how much we will need to spend on a) big-ish one off purchases and b) stuff I don't currently need/don't currently do with DD. This is my first so no idea what's in store for us...!

Would anyone like to add their ideas to this list?

One off purchases:
Extended rear facing car seat
Safety gate
Baby monitor (moving her into her own bedroom soon!)

Other stuff:
Shoes
Swimming sessions

Thanks everyone grin

mrsplum2015 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:08:58

Bed - my eldest 2 DC were in a bed at 18 months.

Then you enter a cheaper phase as they go out of nappies, cheaper childcare at age 3, no need for expensive clothes or activities or any kind of "equipment".

And brace yourself as they progress through primary - clothes and shoes (seemingly every day they need something new either for school, home or an activity), extra-curricular activities, pocket money, food (3 meals a day plus endless snacks), pocket money, days out at weekends and during school holidays - the park is no longer enough! and you have to take friends- and more children = more expense. We are haemorraging money with 3 DC but they are so fun and it won't be forever grin

ohthegoats Sun 05-Jul-15 15:34:18

We bought a backpack carrier when she was 8 months, thinking that she'll need it on and off until she's 2 and a half/3. Also, our buggy goes that big but I think I'll want a smaller McLaren type thing when she's not in it the whole time we're out.

Buglife Sun 05-Jul-15 16:37:06

I've just bought a travel cot (plan to travel more with DS, trips to grandparents, and also it doubles as a safe place to stick a mobile baby when I need the loo!) also I am looking at some outdoor things such as a sand/water table etc. I have also just bought a lightweight folding stroller (was only around £50) again for travel and nursery drop off. Otherwise I'm thinking a walker type thing to help when they start to learn to walk, maybe something for him to get around on like a wheely bug or one of those trike things you can push about.

trilbydoll Sun 05-Jul-15 17:40:32

If you've got a cot bed already you'll be ok but otherwise a toddler bed or similar.

We haven't bothered with a stroller, depends how much you like your travel system! We have got a trike though for pushchair refusal days smile

We don't have any outdoor toys and I wish we did, definitely worth getting a playhouse or something similar early on, then you will get enough use out of it to justify the price!

bronya Sun 05-Jul-15 17:48:18

We bought DS a balance bike at 18 months. He loved it and I could then walk places at normal speed without having to stick him in the buggy. Shoes every 3 months or so. We also got Duplo at 18 months as baby toys were no longer interesting.

RatOnnaStick Sun 05-Jul-15 17:52:17

A potty and/or toilet seat insert, stepstool.

A toddler slide, we had a fold-up one that lived in the corner of the kitchen for about 2 years.

Maybe a booster seat/cushion instead of a highchair

You could consider a little scooter for next summer when she's running all over the place.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 05-Jul-15 17:54:04

Buying garden toys at the end of summer sale would be a good idea.
You might need an ordinary winter coat and also a long snow suit in the same size. Next usually include these in their summer sales.
DS is 2 and in the last 12 months he has gone through at least 5 pairs of Clarks shoes so I like to suggest Clarks vouchers as birthday and Christmas presents.

purplemurple1 Sun 05-Jul-15 17:58:08

Garden toys - sand box, slide, paddling pool, swing, balance bike, truck - have been our main things from 1 to 2 yrs.

Then things like a second cot, double pushchair as dc2 was born when dc1was 16months.

WhiteIcedCaramels Sun 05-Jul-15 20:01:51

A bed...of course! I've been so busy wondering how to get her out of my bed and into her cot I never thought about what next hmm

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs good idea re getting garden toys in the summer sales and I LOVE the Clarks vouchers idea. The cost of tiny shoes is eye wateringly expensive. Although I declared to my mum aged 6 that my daughter wouldn't have to wear Clarks/Start-Rite and she'd be allowed red slip on shoes with bows, I'm afraid she's getting Clarks/Start-Rite!! grin

Thanks everyone, my list is growing...keep them coming!

Littlef00t Sun 05-Jul-15 21:39:30

Dd is 16mo Bought a baby carrier, little trike, duplo, water and sand table since 12mo (some were birthday presents) Shoes are a big expense as I'm used to getting everything handed down or NCT sale.

Wanting to get a scuttle bug or similar for outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now