Routine Advice...

(6 Posts)
RoyalMaybe Thu 04-Jun-15 15:14:25

My daughter is just over 4 months old. She is a good sleeper and usually manages about 10-12 hours a night without waking. It is quite obvious when she feels tired, and when she starts moaning and rubbing her eyes we put her down in her basket with her dummy and her snuggly rabbit and she usually gets herself to sleep without much fuss. So far, so good.

The problem is that there is no rhyme or reason to her timing. It is the same with her daytime naps too. Some days (particularly when we are out for the day) she will have two half hour naps all day, then she's knackered and will fall into a deep sleep at 6pm and needs to be woken up for her last bottle and pjs etc. and everything is thrown off. Other days she will nap loads (like today - she has snoozed the day away) and will not go down till 10pm.

We have started trying to implement a nighttime routine (last bottle, bath and story) but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. It's hard to do this at a set time each night when we're out in the afternoon or my husband works late etc. and she simply doesn't get tired at the same time every night.

She's starting nursery in a few months time and it would be great to have her sleeping in some kind of routine before then (including her naps). Any tips or advice??

Roseybee10 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:15:09

My LO is also four months. She's all over the place with day time naps - general rule of thumb is that she can only cope with 1.5 hours awake then needs a sleep.
My first dd was down to two set naps a day by now but she hated sleep.
Dd2 does have a fairly set bedtime now though. I only started it last week As she was getting over tired waiting for her last bottle so I just cut her last bottle and now she goes down at 7.30-8pm for the night. Mine still has a night feed though and has always done so it didn't affect us much as she just changed the time of her night feed when we did this.

Roseybee10 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:15:59

Ps try the 'easy routine' if you're looking for a loose routine to follow for naps and feeds. It's quite flexible and I use it as a rough guide to stop her getting over tired. I'll post a link

Roseybee10 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:17:02

noobmommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/EASY-Schedule-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

pastmyduedate0208 Thu 04-Jun-15 17:27:39

The only routine i have is story at 6:30 bath at 7pm than upstairs for supper-milk (bf), when he will usually fall asleep by 7:30 (8pm at latest)

I have never had a day nap routine but the evenings have been going like this since about 8weeks old.

mumofboyo Thu 04-Jun-15 19:51:06

I think that both of mine fell into their own routines by between 3-5ish months; and then when they were weaned (ds at 16 weeks and dd at 23) it fell apart and they fell into a new one. I tried to coerce them into one of my choosing and got quite stressed about it when they refused to cooperate, especially with my dd who I wanted to fit around ds, who was a toddler by then. It was my mum who told me to relax and go with the flow because they can't tell the time and have growth spurts and development leaps galore, which all serve to disrupt them.
They were both around 7-8 months when they started nursery and their routine seemed to change on a weekly basis but they both settled fine into nursery without any major problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now