10 month old should i be worried?

(11 Posts)
lillylop Tue 02-Jun-15 10:45:32

My 10 month old does not crawl or move. She started sitting at 7 months and sits really solid and well and rarely falls. She tries to push backwards and will move about a foot and will move around in a circle but wont go forwards or crawl. She will get up on feet if you hold her hands and will step but is very very wobbly. she will pull up to stand if she is stilling on my knee with feet on floor. she hates tummy time and will only do it for around a minute and will not put weight on knees or get into crawling position. Im so stressed I don't know if I should be worried but I am. can any one tell me what theyre little one is doing or if this is normal? please don't say see health visitor as she is awful - thanks

nameChangeQueen Tue 02-Jun-15 10:51:25

I know some babies skip crawling and go straight to walking, perhaps your dd will do this. Can she turn over from back to front or from front to back?

Regarding tummy time, I think this is an overhyped thing. Most babies hate being put on their front on the floor before they can crawl. If you carry your baby in a sling, or lie her on your tummy on her front, that counts too.

If I was you, I'd speak to a medical person to put my mind at rest. If you don't like the h.v. what about someone at the baby weigh in clinic or even booking a gp appointment?

nameChangeQueen Tue 02-Jun-15 10:53:09

I found this link talking about an 11 month old.

elelfrance Tue 02-Jun-15 11:17:04

My LO didn't crawl till past 11 months, at 10 months she was doing exactly what your one is doing now
At 14 months she was walking, and at 15 months she was running, so don't worry :-D

TarkaTheOtter Tue 02-Jun-15 11:23:34

My dd crawled at 10.5m. She was sitting well by 5m so for a long time sat doing nothing! She didn't pull up on anything until 12m but was walking by 14m.
Ds crawled at 7m, cruised by 10m but didn't walk until 15m.

lornathewizzard Wed 03-Jun-15 15:29:54

Our DD has only started crawling in the past few weeks, probably 9.5months. She is already pulling herself up on furniture etc and loves to be standing. So once your DD gets crawling, everything else might start to fall in to place quickly. Even if it doesn't, all babies really are different. I would try not to stress if possible. I cried when DD first crawled, you'll get there soonsmile

Madratlady Wed 03-Jun-15 15:43:30

My DS bum shuffled from 11 months and crawled at 16 months. Some babies are just happy sat taking in everything around them. We never did tummy time as he didn't like it either.

blushingmare Wed 03-Jun-15 17:30:10

DD crawled just before her 1st birthday, walked at 18mo and is now a perfectly normal 3yo, although I'd say probably not the most physical child and has always been cautious of physical things (not a risk taker!)

DS started bottom shuffling at 10mo and is still not crawling at 12mo. He might not and go straight to walking, although I'd prefer him to crawl as it does have other benefits developmentally.

So no, I don't think you should be worried at this stage. 10mo is still within a normal range. Enjoy having a stationary baby for now - it's much easier when they're older and have more understanding when they start to move.

I am a paeds physio though so if you want to try a few things that might help you could try:

- encouraging rolling and moving in and out of sitting
- encourage crossing the midline - ie reaching across her body for toys etc
- play on a squishy surface - sofa cushions on the floor or her cot mattress
- play with her lying on her tummy over a football - rock her backwards and forwards and side to side - encourage weight bearing on hands and knees and stretching and rotating her sides
- play with her in a kneeling position with hands up on a step in front of her - encourages weight bearing through arms and pelvis
- play on her tummy in front of a mirror
- play in all fours with a cushion or rolled up towel supporting under her tummy
- give her lots of motivating things in her environment - things she wants to reach that she'll need to move to get. Often taking them new places helps. This will get more and more from this age onwards as she starts getting more curious about her world.

Hope that helps. Now I'm off to do some of that with my poor DS who never gets any attention - much easier to preach than practice blush

blushingmare Wed 03-Jun-15 17:30:52

DD crawled just before her 1st birthday, walked at 18mo and is now a perfectly normal 3yo, although I'd say probably not the most physical child and has always been cautious of physical things (not a risk taker!)

DS started bottom shuffling at 10mo and is still not crawling at 12mo. He might not and go straight to walking, although I'd prefer him to crawl as it does have other benefits developmentally.

So no, I don't think you should be worried at this stage. 10mo is still within a normal range. Enjoy having a stationary baby for now - it's much easier when they're older and have more understanding when they start to move.

I am a paeds physio though so if you want to try a few things that might help you could try:

- encouraging rolling and moving in and out of sitting
- encourage crossing the midline - ie reaching across her body for toys etc
- play on a squishy surface - sofa cushions on the floor or her cot mattress
- play with her lying on her tummy over a football - rock her backwards and forwards and side to side - encourage weight bearing on hands and knees and stretching and rotating her sides
- play with her in a kneeling position with hands up on a step in front of her - encourages weight bearing through arms and pelvis
- play on her tummy in front of a mirror
- play in all fours with a cushion or rolled up towel supporting under her tummy
- give her lots of motivating things in her environment - things she wants to reach that she'll need to move to get. Often taking them new places helps. This will get more and more from this age onwards as she starts getting more curious about her world.

Hope that helps. Now I'm off to do some of that with my poor DS who never gets any attention - much easier to preach than practice blush

blushingmare Wed 03-Jun-15 17:33:42

Sorry don't know why I posted twice!

PotatoesNotProzac Wed 03-Jun-15 17:38:27

My DS didn't even sit till 10 months!

He walked at 16 months. Don't remember when he crawled.

So, don't worry yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now