Soft baby wrap recommendations?

(16 Posts)
Hillijx Thu 14-May-15 15:57:28

Would people recommend using a soft wrap, pro's and con's? If so which one to buy, there seems to be a tonne of them?!

Hobby2014 Thu 14-May-15 16:14:42

I like the close caboo. Great for babies. But now DS is older (9 months), he prefers to face outwards so have bought the mothercare 3 way carrier so he can face in/out or be on my back.

TwoLittleTerrors Thu 14-May-15 16:21:15

I used a moby when my two were young and loved it. Only downside I can think of is not wanting to tie it up in a carpark (after getting out of a car). The fabric is very long and drapes on the floor. I have to make sure I have it all tied up at home before leaving.

Lilipot15 Thu 14-May-15 16:23:58

I've bought a Close Caboo for next baby who is due soon (hello again Hillijx!)....seemed easy to put on in shop, despite a pregnancy bump and not lots of material. I borrowed a moby after I had DD and even in March found it horribly hot and just could not feel confident with the yards of material and wrapping it. So hoping the caboo is better!

cosmicglittergirl Thu 14-May-15 16:35:01

I use a Kari me which is one long piece of material. I think it's fine when the baby is small, but it can be tricky to get the tension right. I also have a Baba sling which I find difficult to use; it felt like my baby was going to fall out so I switched to the Kari me.

Hillijx Thu 14-May-15 19:50:14

Thank you, I have a gift voucher for baby and undecided what will make life easier, a sling or a buggy board for my 17 month old but think she may be a tad young for it.........my dilemmas are boring my dh! My only worry about a sling and sorry if this makes me sound like a mean mummy but I'm scared it will put her into bad sleep habits of just napping on me as she gets older.

Hello lillipot......glad to see you're getting prepared!! Do you have long? Best thing I did in my last weeks of only having one child was snuggle up with dd1 for a nap as I have never been able to do it since with her. X

TwoLittleTerrors Thu 14-May-15 19:56:18

No you want get into bad sleep habits. DD1 was carried everywhere as she hated the pram. She was also EBF. She slept through before 3mo.

DD2 likes the pram and I use the moby when taking them to toddler classes. And other off road places where you can't easily push a pram. She still isn't sleeping through at 8mo. But she can be put down awake and self settle.

All those things about formula, rock to sleep, self soothing etc with sleep are a bunch of BS. Some babies love their sleep and some don't. Some have reflux and others not.

Lilipot15 Thu 14-May-15 20:03:33

Hillijx, I have around 5 weeks left. Once my house is free of workmen - extreme nesting by major redecoration - I intend to take your advice on making the most of those naps!
I have seen a thread somewhere about buggy boards, can't remember the details but in my head it felt like we are a while off needing one. I just don't think DD would have the concentration to stay on one at the mo. Good luck with your shopping choices!

bronya Thu 14-May-15 20:18:05

We have also gone from Close caboo to Mothercare 3 way carrier. Still use the Close carrier under a big raincoat though if it is wet. It's still the comfiest too but doesn't work well facing outwards.

Roseybee10 Thu 14-May-15 20:29:48

I have the moby and the close caboo. I would say the moby is slightly comfier but the caboo is so much easier to put on and it also feels much more secure.

Hillijx Thu 14-May-15 20:48:13

TLT- good to hear, I have two dd and always put them down to sleep as they seemed to prefer it and slept better, dd3 loves a hug and is so happy snuggled up to me but having two others means I don't get much chance so thought a wrap might help, I just didn't want it to upset her sleep as she gets older.

Lillipot - that sounds intense, you're brave! 5 weeks isn't too much longer, although it's the hardest stretch if you ask me, good luck. I think you may be right about the buggy board, I think once the novelty wears off she will just jump off it whenever she wants or have a tantrum about it!

I looked up the caboo, john Lewis sell either a close parent caboo for £60 or one called caboo nct close parent made by the same company but is £40.....anyone know if there is a difference and why the cost difference??

DanyStormborn Thu 14-May-15 22:31:38

I love my Moby - easy to out in after the first couple of times and I can keep it on when she isn't in it and not notice I'm wearing it.

Lilipot15 Fri 15-May-15 06:00:58

Hilli - I think it is to do with the material the sling is made out of. I had a £5 off voucher so I managed to justify the more expensive one by telling myself it would be cooler and comfier! Hopefully someone who's work both will come along and tell you. You could always try a sling library, although I doubt you have much time for that - I went to one when DD was new, taking her now would be chaos!!

TwoLittleTerrors Fri 15-May-15 11:01:13

I have a buggy board but I have a 3.5 year age gap. I can't actually push DD1 in a pushchair with DD2 in sling. It's too hard. DH could do that though. The only way I can get them both to walk any distance is the buggy board. I would recommend that unless you go for a double buggy. The sling is for a different use.

Hillijx Fri 15-May-15 15:39:01

Ok you have all sold the caboo to me! I looked up the difference between nct and organic.....the nct is smaller so may not last as long and material is different so veering towards the organic so it may last longer. Annoying as they get the same resale price on eBay but are £20 cheaper. Tlt, I use a bjorn and a buggy quite easily as baby stays asleep better instead of in and out of buggy and car seat on the school run but it isn't comfortable to wear around the house so that's the main reason to opt for a soft wrap whilst she is small. May get the buggy board once dd2 is a bit older, now I invisage ww3 between dd2 and dd1 both wanting to ride it and me breaking my back pushing 3 children!!

Artandco Fri 15-May-15 15:43:03

I would actually suggest a soft structure sling rather than wrap. Something like boba 4g. Then you can use same sling for both children, so carry baby in and eldest in pram, then can put eldest on you back in it if they have been walking and baby is asleep in pram

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now