Swaddling

(11 Posts)
BlueBee Wed 13-May-15 20:14:49

hello. First time mum to be question.

Do people still swaddle babies? I keep seeing conflicting info on if it's safe or not.

So, do you swaddle? Thanks.

ReluctantCamper Wed 13-May-15 20:18:12

I swaddled both mine until they were 6-8 weeks. It made them sleep. I used Mothercare own brand swaddles and really liked them. Didn't put any extra blankets on them unless it got really cold, when I'd put a sheet over them, as obviously you don't want them to over heat.

Good luck!

Blarblarblar Wed 13-May-15 20:20:15

I did with both of mine, they had little kidapopus swaddle wraps. I know a lot of people don't but I had two babies that slept well DC1 is 5 and DC2 is 6mnths and still do.

AmandaTanen Wed 13-May-15 20:21:09

My second loved to be swaddled and we used a gro blanket specially made for swaddling. I was in hospital for 10 days after birth and the midwives swaddled her too. They used the traditional blankets which name escapes me, wool in a criss cross pattern.

You do need to,be sure they don't overheat by checking the back of their neck.

LillyBugg Wed 13-May-15 20:23:28

Yes it meant I could actually put my baby down and have some sleep. I used the gro swaddles as mentioned by a PP. They appeared to be miraculous in my sleep deprived state and I swore if I ever had to buy a gift for a new mum I would buy a gro swaddle.

AmandaTanen Wed 13-May-15 20:24:41

Cellular blankets is what I mean.

stargirl1701 Wed 13-May-15 20:28:13

I did with DD1 but not DD2.

Bunbaker Wed 13-May-15 20:29:28

I didn't swaddle DD. She was born in July and it was just too warm. When it cooled down I tried swaddling her but she hated it.

sophie150 Wed 13-May-15 22:36:16

When ds was small we used the aden and anais 'easy' swaddles (nice Muslim material so good for summer) and now use the halo swaddle as the a+a one only fitted up to about 4 months.
The advice now is just to swaddle arms and not legs as it can damage their hips. Both the hybrid swaddles we used only swaddled the top and left the bottom loose like it would be in a gro bag.
The advantage of the halo swaddle is that you can turn into a normal gro bag if they decide they don't want to be swaddled. The one we have though is possibly too warm for summer!
He still loves being swaddled at 6mths.

BlueBee Wed 13-May-15 23:04:49

Thanks for all the replys, I was looking at those 'easy swaddles' which was what prompted my question really. I may get one then just do that then sophie just swaddle the top. Thanks

sophie150 Thu 14-May-15 11:04:58

Great! The easy swaddle just swaddles the top bit and leaves the legs free at the bottom so is perfect.
Realised my post should have said 'muslin' grin bloody autocorrect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now