SAHMs and government interventions on childcare

(216 Posts)
jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 13:20:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tumbletumble Wed 13-May-15 13:32:56

The government are interested in the number of taxpayers - that's why they want women back to work. It's all about the money from their point of view. If a woman works and pays someone else to look after her child, the government receives two lots of tax, compared to none for a SAHM.

Speaking as an ex-SAHM (now back at work) I understand what you are saying, but I also dislike it when a political party places a lot of emphasis of 'family values', which sometimes seems to imply that a woman should be at home caring for her children. Similarly there was a news story a few months ago about how more care of elderly people should be done by family (= the women of the family IMO!).

There are a lot of women who would like to return to work but are hampered by the cost of childcare. If the policies you refer to are trying to address that, then surely that is a good thing for women in general.

If you want recognition of the value of your role, I would look closer to home if I were you. As long as your DH and family value you I wouldn't worry too much about what the government thinks!

fustybritches Wed 13-May-15 13:36:05

Sod the government and do what's right for your family.

Happening Wed 13-May-15 13:37:02

Why does your "work" as a sahm need to be measured? Yes, its valuable etc. and probably good for your family. Isn't that what its about? Why do you need the government to say well done?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 13-May-15 13:38:23

I would never be cheesed off with this. I think it's great that women can have help to go back to work should they want to, even though I didn't want to myself.

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 13:40:44

ReallyTired Wed 13-May-15 13:42:49

The destruction of evening classes makes it harder for SAHM to get back into work. The lack of avaialbity of apprenticeships and courses for over 25s is more of an issue than childcare. I hope that the "free childcare" is available to people who want to go back to university to update skills.

I would rather that fewer childcare hours were funded properly. At the moment nurseries over charge people who aren't entitled to free childcare hours to subsidise those who are.

I am worried what the govenment is going to cut to pay for all this childcare.

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 13:46:33

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 13-May-15 13:48:42

No it really doesn't bother me.

I was fortunate enough to be able to choose to be a SAHM. It's what I wanted and it's what works best for my family's situation.

If I had chosen to keep my job outside of the home I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance with childcare the government could give me.

I used to work with women who were struggling with childcare everyday. It's not easy and I think more should be done to make it easier for parents to work.

I feel rewarded enough being a SAHM and don't need it to be valued other than by my DH and my DCs.

Happening Wed 13-May-15 13:53:19

If you claim child benefit that includes your NICs.
Private pension - up to you. I pay into one myself even as a sahm, as don't expect any if us my age to get much I way of state pension. Many employed people don't get additional pension contributions from their employers. Training would happen in a job because it's used for that job. If you want training, go out and get some. Don't expect everything to be give to you!

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 13:53:49

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 13-May-15 13:59:19

I don't think a sahm does work. Not in the same way as someone in paid employment.

holidaysarenice Wed 13-May-15 14:06:39

A childminder has a job looking after children. You are raising yours. Unless you are telling me that your husband is you employer paying your wages and thus you are answerable to him? In the same way a childminder is beholden to the parents!

SAHPs make a valuable contribution to their family life but it is not an employed job. And personally I think it devalues the role to consider it a job.

OddBoots Wed 13-May-15 14:10:03

How would you like them counted? In what statistics?

I'd like the numbers of people in zero-hour contracts included alongside employment statistics as that is relevant. Maybe alongside those?

TheEggityOddity Wed 13-May-15 14:11:24

As tumbletumble said, you are only a useful citizen in the govt's eyes if you are contributing tax. Everyone else is seen as a burden. So you can get upset, or realise that how a govt thinks has very little to do with reality. The only people who need to appreciate what you do are your family. If you listened to all party speeches, it is always about 'supporting working people'.

whatithink Wed 13-May-15 14:20:46

When the main politicos parties where all touting their manifestos pre election I wanted one to come out and say they would help SAHM (though not necessarily mums, either parent). Whether it be a fully transferable tax allowance or some other idea. I am fed up of them all offering free childcare to younger and younger ages. Parenting is woefully undervalued and so many families are stretched to braking point by trying to look after kids and work. I know so many working parents who would love to be able to work less or not at all and have more time at home whilst their children are younger.

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 14:25:27

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 14:27:09

sleepyhead Wed 13-May-15 14:27:11

Your state pension is protected if you're a SAHM.

Companies don't count your sick days for the good of your health. They count them so that they can sack you if you have too many.

Should volunteers be paid for the work they do? Are they not valued and appreciated unless they're paid a wage?

We're currently trying to work out if dh can be a SAHD if he is sacked for having 3 periods of absence due to ill health in a year, as he may well be later this week. His work as a SAHD will have a direct financial value to our family - it will save us £7k a year in childcare bills.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 13-May-15 14:28:16

Tbh OP, it doesn't bother me either.
I think if you are appreciated by your partner and dc that's all that matters.
As long as you know you are doing the right thing for your family that's all that matters.

As for government it only takes the change in a couple of policies to change the way people make their choices.
We don't know what this gov will do yet, they may stop all assisted childcare.
After all traditionally Tories not only make the rich richer and poor poorer, but also like the traditional nuclear family with a sahp. One way for them to achieve this if they so wished would be to end childcare support.
nobody knows what they will do yet.

Imeg Wed 13-May-15 14:29:49

I think it is ineffective anyway and that some free childcare at a younger age would be more effective at helping people return to work than extra hours at an older age, because otherwise there is a significant gap between the end of maternity leave and the start of free childcare. And it is easier to go back to a job that is familiar after maternity leave than apply for a new job (especially part time). Although I appreciate starting free childcare at 1 could end up with the government paying for childcare while mother is on maternity leave with number 2, which probably isn't justifiable given the other demands on the budgets. I'm sure there must be a way round that though.
I realise my view might be coloured just a teeny bit by my current position of working at a loss after nursery fees for my 1 year old....
It is entirely possible that I may end up as a SAHM, and yes I think the political rhetoric does suggest that all women should go back to work, there are just logistical/financial difficulties, rather than a valid choice one way or the other.

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 14:37:28

NickyEds Wed 13-May-15 15:19:43

my new representative body is now mumsnet
Dare I say that this might be why you feel judged??!! I personally have found mn to be very anti-SAHP and threads are often started as a question about being a SAHP then morph into SAH vs WOH bun fights. I feel that the offer of free childcare is just that, an offer, one that can be freely refused with a "thanks but no thanks"! I really don't feel the need to be compensated/trained/valued by a load of politicians.

Companies don't count your sick days for the good of your health. They count them so that they can sack you if you have too many.

^^ this. I really don't believe that companies look at their sick day stats, see that half of their staff are depressed and wring their hands with worry about it. I'm not convinced they really care, they just want them back at work.

What health problems are you worried about specifically op?

jsp56 Wed 13-May-15 16:11:41

Fromparistoberlin73 Wed 13-May-15 16:17:39

i think you are misreading it, they basically want to incentivise people on benefits grin, I think they also want to help people that find childcare costs exorbitant

they a love a relatively afflueant SAHM I would have though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now