18 month age gap, any tips?

(9 Posts)
FlossyCat Sat 02-May-15 21:09:30

Hello, anyone have any practical tips for coping with an 18 month age gap? I downloaded a book on coping with two, but I'm too blooming tired to read it at the end of most days, so if you could give me the concise version that would be great! smile what was your routine like? How did the older child respond to their new sibling? How did you bath two on your own? How did you manage to get anything done / make it out the house? And anything else helpful you can think of! Thanks.

Jenny1231990 Sat 02-May-15 21:32:21

I'm going to have just 12months between my last 2, awaiting the arrival of our latest daughter as I type. Eeek.
Will be following this thread. Hehe

ChilliCrouton Sat 02-May-15 21:40:22

It was fine! I am the organised routine type, while baby had morning nap I'd get everything ready for going out and make sure we had a reason to go out every morning. I'd make sure their naps after lunch overlapped a bit so I could have a cuppa! It was a long drag to tea time I'll be honest, but so so worth it, they're the best of friends now. Toddler did watch more tv than is ideal while we got breastfeeding established but its not the end of the world. I used to let the baby sleep on me all evening, so precious for both of us after a busy day smile

seastargirl Sat 02-May-15 21:52:05

A decent baby carrier I found essential, it meant I could cope at playgroup etc as I had hands free to help the older one.

Making packed lunches and packing the change bag, lying out clothes in the evening so no matter what happens you're all washed, dressed and fed.

Think minimal when it comes to chasing etc, do the essential bits and anything that might get you down, everything else can wait or be delegated.

Accept help, if , people offer help then take it.

Use sky planner so that you have whatever programme they're into ready to play whenever necessary.

Remember that it does get easier!

Runnaway Sat 02-May-15 21:58:27

I would say to relax about routines for the baby for the first few months. I was so determined to get the baby into a routine so they both slept at the same time that I missed out on newborn snuggles and instead ran up and downstairs shushing and patting!!

FlossyCat Sat 02-May-15 22:06:43

Thanks ladies this is really helpful smile good luck Jenny, I reckon a smaller age gap will be lovely (eventually!). Which baby carrier did you use seastargirl? Other than toddler groups what else did you do to get out the house?

MiaowTheCat Sun 03-May-15 07:19:16

It's fine honestly - 11 months between my two and they are so incredibly close now they're 2 and 3... I caught DD2 sticking up for her big sister the other day when a lad was getting in DD1's face and bothering her - it was adorable.

seastargirl Sun 03-May-15 08:03:33

I've got an ergo baby stow away. I love it!

We did all sorts, they don't really mind anything at that age do they. We'd go and share a toasted teacake at tesco while baby slept. Library, feed the ducks, we got annual membership to the sea life centre and went every week. Got national trust membership and visited lots of them.

Found as many drop in classes as possible as I didn't want to sign up for full terms of anything. The little ones walking now and I miss the days when she just slept in hee sling!

Jenny1231990 Sun 03-May-15 10:44:52

Thank you flossycat it's quite daunting but know we will manage. Like others have said routine isn't that important in the beginning, I plan on getting most stuff done in the evening ready for the following day.
I also have a 6 year old son
I have an ergo baby carrier too with the insert but found it very bulky/too hot in the summer. I'm thinking to get an ergo sling for baby. Then I can use the carrier as baby gets a bit older and won't need the carrier.
Xx hope you're feeling ok and congratulations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now