I've just purchased an Ergo carrier!

(22 Posts)
thebestthinginlifeisgrace Thu 30-Apr-15 13:36:29

Any tips? My DD is 6 months old and up until now has been in a moby wrap.

FYI they're £61 on Amazon at the moment... grin

bonzo77 Thu 30-Apr-15 13:46:39

Oh I loved mine. Still carried my DS2 on my back aged 2. Only stopped as my pregnant bump got in the way. Can't wait to get it out for dc3!

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Thu 30-Apr-15 15:12:56

That's what I'm hoping for! Also it's a bit more manly so DH will be able to do some carrying too. I'm so excited!!

Highlove Thu 30-Apr-15 19:53:14

We couldn't get on with it - I found it fiddly to get on and DD didn't love it. Dunno what we were doing wrong as it came really highly recommended.

bonzo77 Thu 30-Apr-15 20:24:08

I agree, it's much more fiddly than the baby bjorn. But that really was uncomfortable on my back. The top strap on the ErgoBaby is a fiddle, but with a bit of adjustment and some stretches so you are more flexible it's fine. I managed it from day 1. DH never managed to do it himself. You need to adjust it so it's as close to the nape of your neck as possible initially, then move it down as you get used to reaching it. I've baby is tall enough that you can't see over their head you can use it on your back. Getting them on takes some practice, and does require the baby to cooperate, but DS2 managed it. I'd not used a carrier at all between 3 and 18 months and we got the hang of it quite quickly.

LillyBugg Thu 30-Apr-15 20:31:42

I just bought one to! Had one on hire from a library and I LOVE IT. DS loves it to smile he's eight months btw. Haven't mastered back carries yet but we're working on it. The clip at the back of your neck is really hard to start with but I kind of jiggle DS up my body while I do it up and you do get used to it. It should sit between your shoulder blades so as not to pull.

My very expensive travel system is getting less and less use, I just shove the ergo in the car.

Sootgremlin Thu 30-Apr-15 20:40:27

I love it, have lingering SPD after pregnancy which meant I struggled with carriers for the first few months, but used my Ergo a lot with my heavy babies from 6 months. With a 20 odd pound toddler I am quite comfortable on a walk using this, which is amazing for me. I don't use it anything like every day, so that's without building tolerance.

I actually use it more now dd's over a year and walking - great for popping her on and off your back when out in the woods, and still use it on front when she needs a snuggle. In fact both times for me it has really come into its own later on, so good value for money IMO. Agree can be fiddly at first but I've been able to put it on myself quite easily after a few initial attempts with help.

Sootgremlin Thu 30-Apr-15 20:42:06

Also you can bung it in the machine and it comes up like new.

I never thought I'd be writing things like that, but there's motherhood for you grin

LillyBugg Thu 30-Apr-15 20:46:02

Ha ha soot my 8 month old is already 21lb chunk which is perhaps why I use it so much already. He's not even crawling yet never mind walking, my arms would be hurting so much if I didn't have my ergo.

Glad to hear you are still carrying even when LO is walking. I love carrying and already dread the day when DS doesnt want to be carried.

Highlove Thu 30-Apr-15 20:46:28

Ok. I might try again then. DD is 14 months so better get on with it!

Teacuptravells Thu 30-Apr-15 20:46:53

Oh my Ergo was the most loved baby-thing I owned. My firstborn was in it from about 6months to about 2 daily, and often for quite long walks. I really really loved how close we were as a mother-child, how she could be "part" of my chats when I was walking...

Babybjorn isn't good for the child's hips, or really when they get heavier. It really is worth getting a proper sling/carrier.

HOWEVER. Do be really careful with Amazon. I think a lot are fakes, so we decided to get ours through an independent sling retailer instead.Google "fake" and "ergo" and "amazon" and there's tons of hits. I think its quite well known....

Teacuptravells Thu 30-Apr-15 20:47:59

blog.borndirect.com/2011/10/help-i-think-i-bought-fake-ergo.html

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Thu 30-Apr-15 20:49:27

Thanks ladies! I'm so excited it should get to me by Saturday, I can't wait to try it!!

BreeVDKamp Thu 30-Apr-15 20:50:07

Ooh sounds like people like this carrier smile

I can't find it for £61 on Amazon sad not much more expensive though.

I wonder whether I should impulse buy it or wait till the baby is here and go to a sling library?

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Thu 30-Apr-15 20:52:35

Hi teacup thanks for the info. I read on the reviews about fakes and a statement from Amazon said as long as you buy it directly from them and not a third party seller it will be genuine. But I will certainly be giving it a thorough check over once it arrives!!!

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Thu 30-Apr-15 20:56:08

Bree, I found out it was £61 a few days ago and checked again this morning and there were only three left in stock...so I bought it there and then. But noticed this afternoon they were back in stock and £89...strange hmm maybe it was slightly older stock or something. I was very lucky, was going to wait until DH got home from work to buy it but now so glad I didnt! He was a bit shocked though... wink

Sootgremlin Thu 30-Apr-15 21:12:02

My ds was 22lb at 6 months lilybugg so dd is a lightweight in comparison, but was still 24lb at 11 months. She has slimmed down a little since she's been walking though she's still massive. smile

Teacuptravells Fri 01-May-15 11:15:35

Bree - I loved the ergo, but I didn't particularly think it was good until the baby can hold its head independantly. Like the OP I prefered a moby/kari me/wrap in teh first few months. Much more snuggly and they can often be found cheaply on ebay without the same safety concerns (basically a long piece of material). Why dont you visit the sling library before the baby is born? I'm sure they'd be really welcoming smile

thebestthinginlifeisgrace Fri 01-May-15 12:14:42

Bree I highly recommend a stretchy wrap while baby is still tiny, my moby was £42 and worth every penny. It's tricky at first when learning how to tie it but you'll soon become a pro smile

Sootgremlin Fri 01-May-15 12:55:48

Just another side to that, but my babies never settled comfortably in the Moby, even though I loved it, they didn't confused

So on number two I got a newborn insert for the Ergo which means you can use it from birth.

BreeVDKamp Fri 01-May-15 23:04:27

Ooh thanks for the advice.

Teacup I didn't realise you could go to a sling library without a baby to use in the sling! And also with a big baby bump to get in the way. But I will look into it, thanks for pointing that out ha! blush

Teacuptravells Fri 01-May-15 23:18:04

Of course you can! I'm sure they'd be excited to show you things and options and you can be more informed for when you have the little one and want to try out/decide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now