Weaning baby before 6 months

(15 Posts)
27mummmy2boys Sat 30-Aug-14 12:51:15

I have a 4 month old baby and two other older children. I fed them both at 4 months but now with my third everyone is telling me to wait until she's 6 months old now. Do I wait or just feed her now like my others? Thanks for advice in advance x

Showy Sat 30-Aug-14 12:58:29

You feed them when they are ready. If they can sit up, have no tongue thrust reflex and can pick up food, put it in their mouth, chew and swallow, then they are displaying the signs. Most babies show these signs around 6 months. It's unlikely your baby is at 4 months and advice has been 6 months for 11yrs iirc. Don't look at the calendar, look at your baby and use the NHS, Dept of Health and Mumsnet information to help. All v clear and useful.

EatDessertFirst Sat 30-Aug-14 14:46:43

I weaned both of mine early. DD, now nearly 6yo, was weaned at 18 weeks (ish) on medical advice for reflux, no weight gain. DS, now nearly 4yo, was weaned at a similar age as he was showing most of thesigns that showy mentioned. They are both perfect for weight and have no food issues that some doomsayers correlate with early weaning.
Its down to the individual baby IMO. But the guidelines do state that 6 months should be the absolute youngest babies are weaned.

Showy Sat 30-Aug-14 15:04:47

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx#close

ArabellaTarantella Sat 30-Aug-14 16:52:41

Guidelines are only that.........guidelines (although some on MN think they are the Bible). Do what you feel is best for your baby.

fairylightsintheloft Sun 31-Aug-14 21:50:49

mine were both weaned at about 4 1/2 - 5 months. They just seemed ready. With DD, I tried her and she couldn't get it right with the spoon so I left it a couple of weeks and tried again and she went for it. Nothing magic happens on their 6 month birthday that suddenly makes it ok. You have two healthy kids already, trust your instincts.

wheresthelight Sun 31-Aug-14 22:34:38

do what is best for you and baby!

my dd was 8 months before we began regular weaning as she just wasn't interested

animalsunited Mon 01-Sep-14 07:39:42

Follow your baby and your instinct. I weaned my older two before six months (four months was the advice when my eldest was born anyway).

They are great eaters, no allergies etc. I think as long as you wait until six months to introduce dairy and wheat.

No doubt someone will be along soon to say you are abusing your baby to wean before six months. Ignore. They are guidelines to cover a whole range and number of babies but they are all different.

Drumsticks99 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:44

All research shows waiting is best but it's your call.

Drumsticks99 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:49:15

I never understand the rush to wean early. No offence. Just mess to start tidying earlier, more food to prepare.

animalsunited Mon 01-Sep-14 22:07:30

My four month old is breastfeeding constantly, I'm exhausted. She's also showing other signs so might start soon. It's not that I want to rush it. I'd rather wait and just give her finger foods at six months. But I'm convinced she's hungry and exhausting me feeding day and night.

DinoSnores Thu 04-Sep-14 14:11:39

"Guidelines are only that.........guidelines"

hmm

Guidelines aren't just bits of random chat, but guidelines based on the best available evidence by proper scientists/health professionals at the time to try to reduce the risks and increase the benefits to whoever is affected by them.

The weaning guidelines are clear that babies should certainly not be weaned before 17 weeks and that weaning is likely best left to 6 months, when babies will show the signs of readiness as showy as already says.

There are studies (such as the EAT study) looking into this, but at the moment, I see no reason not to wait for 6 months, if only because BLW is far, far easier than purees.

Drumsticks99 Fri 05-Sep-14 19:12:55

Animal - feeding a lot of 4 months is pretty normal. See Kellymom. There is a massive growth spurt.

Supplementing with formula would be better than introducing solids so early if you can't cope any longer.

I always found things changed just as I got to the point I couldn't take anymore. This to shall pass.

LittleBearPad Fri 05-Sep-14 19:15:45

Animal weaning her won't suddenly cut down the amount of milk she wants. It should be the primary source of nutrition until one. A puréed carrot isn't filling and it's a faff. Waiting until all the signs mentioned above are shown makes it all easier.

Blondiemama Sun 07-Sep-14 04:05:03

Animal, I also have a 4Mo who is EBF and I know how you are feeling! This is a huge growth spurt and also a developmental leap (if you subscribe to wonder weeks) it has been bloody awful for last three weeks or so but we have turned a corner now. This is despite various well meaning others telling me to 'Give him a bit of baby rice' or even ' give him a chip to suck on' I kid you not! I really don't think this would have made any difference if I had because he's settled down again now so I'm glad I stuck to my guns!! No magic solution but much solidarity coming from mewine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now