Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Toddler obsessed with sleep

(15 Posts)
partyskirt Fri 29-Aug-14 14:34:42

DD actually has quite healthy sleep

night-time 7.30/8 until 6/6.30
nap 12.30 until 2/2.30pm

However, she is very obsessed with sleep to the point of making us all pretend to go to sleep all the time, always putting her toys to sleep, and also asking to be put in her cot when she's not tired but 'tuck in' 'lights off' etc. It's her favourite game.

Also she won't nap in her cot. Just can't go to sleep and has to be wheeled in pram, but she loves sleeping once she's there.

Anyone else have/had one like this?

Thurlow Fri 29-Aug-14 14:42:18

We don't have the pram problem, but definitely have the 'playing bedtime' game. DD loves it and plays it all the time, pretty much anytime she sees a blanket or a pillow.

It hadn't crossed my mind this was anything to worry about - it's just role play, the same way that she role plays unlocking a door if she sees keys, or cooking if she sees a pot and spoon. Is there something about what your daughter is doing that is worrying you?

partyskirt Fri 29-Aug-14 14:46:09

Reassuring to know Thurlow - I just wondered if it meant mine was overtired/sleeping too much. Do you think her sleep schedule looks normal?

Thurlow Fri 29-Aug-14 14:49:07

I have no idea if it is normal or not, but it's very similar to my 2.5yo - asleep 8-7.30 at night, and an hour or so nap in the daytime.

Is she quite tactile? Someone recently commented that DD likes textures and feeling things, which I hadn't really noticed before but it is true. She has a comfort blanket, prefers to hold a soft toy in the pushchair, sleeps with cuddly toys, like a blanket over her when watching tv etc - I suspect part of playing bedtime is an excuse for her to snuggle down under something that feels soft and nice.

partyskirt Fri 29-Aug-14 14:51:00

Yes I guess she is! I never thought of it like that.

Thurlow Fri 29-Aug-14 14:56:50

In my (completely non-expert grin) opinion I'd say that sleep sounds great for a toddler and she just likes role playing

partyskirt Fri 29-Aug-14 15:00:19

Ok thanks -- thanks so much for replying!

HelpMeHelpHim Mon 01-Sep-14 00:42:38

Kinda had this - my ds went through a stage of constantly asking to go back to bed all the time - even took him to the dr about it. Lasted about 2 months and dr was fairly confident it was just because his cot/ bedroom was a nice snugly space ds liked being in.

slightlyconfused85 Mon 01-Sep-14 10:59:09

My dd is 22 months and also does this. She sleeps 11 to 12 hours overnight and 1.5 to 2 nap most days, but everytime she sees a blanket she says sleep,night night, and pretends to sleep. I think its just role play but started after we got her a groclock which she thinks is amazing! X

partyskirt Mon 01-Sep-14 12:27:43

Very interesting to hear that others do it too!

partyskirt Mon 01-Sep-14 12:28:43

Ps I haven't got a gro clock yet - wondered if it would be just another thing for DD to have a game with/get distracted. But that your DD obeys it is very good. I might get one.

ShowMeShowMeTheWine Mon 01-Sep-14 12:31:10

Yes if dd is upstairs she has to put all the toys to bed. She also pretend yawns (which is hilarious) and says "I so tired mummy" then I have to tuck her in. She likes to alternate who's bed she goes in normally the ones I've just made and drags all her teddies along with her.

Thurlow Mon 01-Sep-14 12:34:38

Gro clock is currently working wonders for us and early waking. We started it a few months ago when DD was about 2.5. I'd say it took a week or so for her to understand it - you still had to wake up early, go in the room and point out that the clock was blue etc - but now she has got it she stays asleep or dozing until it turns yellow. You can even move it a sneaky half an hour later at the weekends and she goes with it wink

partyskirt Mon 01-Sep-14 12:38:50

Wow -I'm going to get one.

Also the obsession with sleep is so bittersweet because I am particularly exhausted at the moment -- I really do wish she would 'tuck up' us all for a snooze!

slightlyconfused85 Mon 01-Sep-14 12:48:01

Agree with groclock. DD is younger and took a couple of weeks to get it, but she doesn't call us until 6.45 (this is much better than any time between 5 and 6 that we were getting). She is a bit obsessed with it though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now