think lb is constipated and not sleeping in early hrs of morning

(10 Posts)
Buffy81 Fri 29-Aug-14 10:17:42

Our darling lb is only a week old and done a total of 3 poos. Is this this normal? He sleeps during the day, but at night he can very grouchy and will e eventually only settle with a dummy (we tried not to use it. We cuddle, feed change nappy waslk up and down with him wind him. Is tjheted anything else that we could be doing. Tried keeping him awake during the day thy o see if that helped

mrsmugoo Fri 29-Aug-14 13:44:17

It's normal for little babies to be fussy in the evenings - there's a kellymom article on it. Plus also at a week old they still don't really differentiate between day/night sleep - they just feed/sleep in blocks regardless.

Are you BFing? Maybe your LO is wanting to cluster feed?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 29-Aug-14 21:51:04

Buffy when you say he's constipated, is he straining and trying to poo?

Keeping a newborn awake in the day won't make any difference yet. He's far too young to know the difference between day and night. There are some things you can do though. Keep nights quite and dark. Keep daytimes noisy and bright and make sure he gets outside at least twice a day. If DH is home, could he take him out for a walk after a feed and nappy change?

If he won't settle at night, what happens if you offer another feed?

feeona123 Sat 30-Aug-14 03:40:10

I think you should be getting a lot more poos at a week old. I would speak to the mw or your GP x

munchkinmaster Sat 30-Aug-14 04:28:13

Do you mean three bowel movements in total. That's too few. Lots of wet nappies? Could be not getting enough milk? Talk to hv or gp. Could be up all night looking for milk. How's feeding going.

At a week I'd expect lots of poos a day. Has he cleared out the meconium and onto proper poos?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 30-Aug-14 10:03:58

Buffy how are you now?

Buffy81 Sun 31-Aug-14 06:48:08

Feeds really well. Am formula feeding as was unable to bf and found it hard to get anything from expressing both manual and using pump. He feels like he wants to do a poo but can't do one. When he dose a poo it is greeny colour. Am going to give the mW as call today as he still not done one, but he farts like a trooper

LairyPoppins Sun 31-Aug-14 06:52:43

At a week my LO (now 16 days) was doing 3-4 yellow poos a day. And about 6 wet nappies a day too. He is ebf though so not sure if different.

munchkinmaster Sun 31-Aug-14 09:40:03

Yes call mW. No wonder he is cranky.

It's prob green as he is still getting rid of meconium ( which should have gone in first 5 ish days.

You are not using hungry baby formula are you ? that's constipation in a can.

Also cycle his wee legs and give him a bath to see what you can get started.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 31-Aug-14 22:08:45

What did the MW say Buffy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now