ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Bumbo seats

(17 Posts)
moomin35 Thu 28-Aug-14 16:33:31

What do I need to look our for when buying a genuine bumbo seat second hand? I understand there are a lot of fakes about?

Sundaedelight Thu 28-Aug-14 16:36:17

I find mine a waste of money if I am honest. I bought a second hand one too. Sorry, probably not the answer you want but thought it was worth mentioning.

moomin35 Thu 28-Aug-14 17:21:42

Haha no I appreciate it, that's why I'm going second hand incase I don't like it (well baby not me!)

ladybirdandsnails Thu 28-Aug-14 17:49:14

They are branded bumbo and you can't really break them. Ours was used all the time by both mine - they were nosy and wanted to sit up all the time

Mrsgrumble Thu 28-Aug-14 17:51:10

I ended up using a baby bath seat and it did the job for the couple of weeks.

ladybirdandsnails Thu 28-Aug-14 18:10:00

Mine went in it at about 9 week till past 6 mths

todayiamfat Thu 28-Aug-14 18:14:21

My dd2 is 18 mths and still fits (she is bloody tiny). Dd1 also had great use out of it. I find the tray a necessity. They had a lot of bad press a few years back and I was a little unsure about using it for dd2. But when I was actively encouraged to use it by the physio and they had one there too, I'm glad I still had it. You can get a free strap to go on it if you get one second hand and it doesn't have one. But I never bothered.

BikeRunSki Thu 28-Aug-14 18:28:42

Took my dc less than a fortnight to work out how to lever themselves out at around 4-5 months.

fishfingerSarnies Thu 28-Aug-14 18:31:17

I had a cheep version and sound it actually better than the proper ones. Definitely need a tray we used it for ages.

fishfingerSarnies Thu 28-Aug-14 18:31:47

*found

CantThinkOfAGoodUserName Thu 28-Aug-14 20:45:29

My DD and her chubby thighs never even fit in itblush so we sold it on

GwenStacy Thu 28-Aug-14 20:55:30

This might be totally the wrong tack, but have looked at the mamas and papas snug? We've got one that I got for £15 off gumtree and it's ace. Will last longer than a Bumbo as well, as the squishy bit comes out smile

boopdoop Fri 29-Aug-14 19:42:30

I'd also recommend the mamas and papas version. My DS is a little chunky (98th centile) and just wouldn't fit in a bumbo but the mamas and papas snug is brilliant.

eagle2010 Fri 29-Aug-14 19:44:57

The Bumbo was a royal disaster here! DS hated being in it (chunky thighs here too smile) and it was hard to get him out of it!
I'd say borrow for a while to see if baby likes it. The real ones have a belt and have Bumbo imprinted on them I think.

wheresthelight Sat 30-Aug-14 00:22:04

I bought the kiddicare version as it was on offer and dd managed to get out of it at 4 months old and now refuses to go near it. it got used all of three times and has just sat collecting dust since.

the mamas and papas one is much better especially if baby as chubby legs. as a joke in the park my friends hubby reckoned he could fit in it (ridiculously skinny), he got in it but I am not sure they will ever be able to have a second child grin

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sat 30-Aug-14 09:15:27

Todayiamfat - where can you get the free strap? We just bought a second hand bumbo and it doesn't have a strap.

Gettingthroughthis Sat 30-Aug-14 12:00:30

If you email tomy@responseuk.co.uk
They will send you a free strap. I fitted if to be second hand one and wish I hadn't. With the tray on you don't need it and it can't be too comfortable as the front part goes on the bit between their legs and as my baby is chunky there isn't ever much room.

I struggled getting his thighs in too initially but now just squish them in (which he never moans at so can't hurt) and then pick him up and bounce to get him out.

Without the tray he gets out but with tray he'll sit on the table (with us sat around and wall behind him so safe) to eat breakfast etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now