Anyone else think their DCs have lived before?

(24 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 10-Jun-14 17:02:16

DD is 2 1/2. Every now and then she will come out with something odd, will call someone a name shes never (to my knowledge) heard before etc.

Today she picked up the base of a pop up pirate game (loaned so not even ours for her to know this) and said "look mammy it looks like a record".

It really does. But how the flip does a 2 1/2yo know what a record is!? We dont even have cds anymore, let alone LPs.

bearwithspecs Wed 18-Jun-14 22:51:46

I think that is fascinating and yes mine have done very odd things

superstarheartbreaker Thu 19-Jun-14 05:22:31

Depends if you believe in reincarnation I guess. Maybe she saw a re ord on cbeebies. Mine comes up with stuffabout the ancient egyptions....horrible histories are to blame!

Tigresswoods Thu 19-Jun-14 05:37:57

"When I lived with my other family..."

This was a common conversation with DS. I put it down to imagination. I loved drawing details out of him though. I'm not woo at all but even I shuddered at:

"When I lived with my other family there were lots of children. I died in a fire"
shock

bearwithspecs Thu 19-Jun-14 07:43:48

How about conversations with her other nana and grandad who died before she was born and had never been mentioned to her at 2.5

justmuddlingalong Thu 19-Jun-14 07:47:48

I was talking to a friends mindee. It was a right blowy day. She said, 'When I was alive before, I loved days like this, getting all the washing out to dry'. I just smiled, but felt a bit woo.

Sisyphus85 Thu 19-Jun-14 11:39:42

Anyone else think their DCs have lived before?

Nope. Definitely not. No.

W00woo Thu 19-Jun-14 11:42:41

My sister always tells me that as a child I always used to say 'I want to go home'. When my mum said 'but you are home', I'd say 'no, to my other home with my other mummy'.

But then I am a bit woo, hence my name :-)

NinjaLeprechaun Thu 19-Jun-14 13:06:45

I knew somebody whose little boy used to talk about "when I was in the war" quite often when he was very young. Bit odd, definitely.

Tigress reading that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. shock

CharlesRyder Thu 19-Jun-14 13:16:43

I'm not convinced there couldn't be some kind of genetic memory that we haven't learned about yet.

I am irrationally terrified of mines. I was struck with deep fear the fist time I saw one on TV when I was little.

A couple of generations ago my family were all miners and part of the mining community. I can conceive that there could be some kind of complex genetic imprint of that. We know so little about how the brain works really.

My DS has said some weird stuff in his sleep. At about 2.5 he had a dream where he was talking about needing his stretcher and specimens. confused. He has since talked (awake) about when he was a doctor in the war and the big river was on fire.

rallytog1 Thu 19-Jun-14 13:38:51

I agree there may be something in this 'genetic memory' idea. It's fascinating.

Tigresswoods Thu 19-Jun-14 13:47:49

Ninja he was so nonchalant about it.

Woo, that's another thing my DS says, exactly what you wrote.

bearwithspecs Thu 19-Jun-14 16:16:11

Yep my DD does that too - she used to talk about her other mummy. Less so recently but we have definately discussed it and she has told me I am her mummy now

Mckayz Thu 19-Jun-14 16:25:53

Ds2 regularly tells us about what he did in WW1. Some of the things are scarily accurate. He's 5 so hasn't read anything about it really.

ThreeGoldStars Mon 08-Jun-15 16:46:27

'

weeblueberry Mon 08-Jun-15 19:26:00

Does your DD ever watch TV? Especially if it's ever on when you're not in the room? For instance, records have appeared in Peppa pig. Might she have seen that either at your house or someone else's?

DixieNormas Mon 08-Jun-15 19:30:34

Ds1 was a bit like that when younger

LeChien Mon 08-Jun-15 19:33:55

There's a brilliant thread in the philosophy/religious topic about this.
I'll have a look for it.

LeChien Mon 08-Jun-15 19:44:14

Here

JesusInTheCabbageVan Mon 08-Jun-15 19:48:08

I don't believe I'm afraid, but I love the spooky things my DS comes out with. Best was: "I used to be old mummy, and then I died on a bench. Then I was different!" Said in a tone of great surprise.

RigglinJigglin Mon 08-Jun-15 19:54:05

DM said I was a child like this, and used to avidly talk (in my room) to a lady who knew us all but was never there. Scared them all half to death I think. I don't remember a thing, DM is a woo-fest and I'm rightly hmm

DD is very similar to me (apparently) just recently she's become petrified of DH in her sleep when she cries, and screams 'fire' if he goes to her. DM thinks it's woo again hmm confused

Rainymellowjanuary Mon 08-Jun-15 19:54:34

I love these threads, must have a look at LeChien's link. Oldest DD used to tell me that I'd been her mummy before and that we'd lived in a white house where I used to carry her up the stairs when she was a baby. She also remembers lying in a row of cots with lots of other babies, "waiting to be born". Her Auntie - husband's sister - had apparently been her Auntie before as well. She'd had a bad accident "before" when someone had pushed her downstairs and she described the stairs as wooden with a patterned blue stair runner. None of this fits in with her early childhood. Once she turned seven or so, the memories all seemed to vanish.

Strokethefurrywall Mon 08-Jun-15 20:01:27

I think DS2?has been here before, he's my old soul.
When DS1 was born he came out bellowing with indignation at the injustice of it all.
Ds2 arrived, needed once then opened his eyes, looked around quietly then locked eyes with me. My first thought was 'he's been here before' - he found his own way to the breast and latched on like he'd been doing it forever.
I think he's been herebefore and I look forward to the kooky stuff he'll probably come out with.

Romeyroo Mon 08-Jun-15 20:36:10

Yes, DD is an old soul - definitely been here before - looked like she had been here before when she was born; talked to a lady in the old house on the landing and in the bedroom, knew where places were she had never been, utterly petrified of certain things with no rational explanation, has a whole network of extended family in her head; she also knows things before they happen (but says she can't predict the lottery numbers as it doesn't work like that apparently)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now