Toddler group with baby and toddler on my own... tips please!

(20 Posts)
YellowYoYoYam Wed 30-Apr-14 20:09:32

I realise this is probably not a big deal for most people, but I'm pretty nervous about it! blush I'd really like to take 18mo DD to the village toddler group and I'll have 3mo DS with me too. Fortunately DS is pretty laid back but DD can be quite high maintenance. I was going to walk down with DC in the double buggy (hoping double buggy will fit through the side door of the village hall!) and was considering taking DS's very basic bouncy chair to pop him in so he could watch if he wasn't sleeping in the buggy. Would I look mad if I did this? The alternative would be go in the car and keep DS in his car seat, but loading them in the car is a lot of effort for such a short journey. Also, more chance of DS sleeping if I use the buggy. Don't want to leave him on a mat on the floor due to other toddlers bombing about! What do you think?

Any other advice on this situation would be appreciated!

Psycobabble Wed 30-Apr-14 20:12:39

Well I only have my toddler to take but there's plenty of mums at groups I go or have been to who take a younger child too and it's never any bother or it doesn't look that way I thinking you'd be fine takin something to pop him in don't be nervous about it they may even have a little baby area already there as well x

SquigletPie Wed 30-Apr-14 20:17:32

Maybe you could find out what equipment the group has? Some groups have bouncy chairs and toys for teenies as well as the toddlers.

Also many groups set up a seperate play area for the teenies where you can sit with them while the toddlers run and leap about outside that area.

Perhaps you could call one of the organisers and find out the room set-up?

fuckwitteryhasform Wed 30-Apr-14 20:18:39

Sling for DS?
Can you ring the toddler group organisers as they might have a baby bouncer and they should have a play mat, also if you say you're nervous about watching DD while you've got DS I'm sure they'll offer to hold him for you! Will he not be put on a play may with another mum asked to watch so he doesn't get trampled. I wouldn't judge if you came with a chair but I'd probably think there were easier solutions. You will make friends quick if you ask for help with baby, everyone loves a baby!

Stubbed Wed 30-Apr-14 20:18:59

Most toddler groups have a baby area with bouncy chairs or a mat for babies. I take my two all the time. Lie the baby down and sit with the baby while toddler runs about. Then at snack time you can carry the baby while sorting out toddler with one hand. Easy.

Change nappies before you go though...

YellowYoYoYam Wed 30-Apr-14 20:31:04

Thank you, you're all making it seem much easier than I'd imagined!

I've been to this group before when DD was a little baby. They didn't have bouncy chairs and most of the time the little babies DS's age are usually in a different room. On the few occasions me and my other mum friends with babies joined the toddler room we sat in a little 'nest' with our babies and looked on in mild horror as the toddlers rampaged about! And now I have my own rampaging toddler!

I think I'll leave behind the bouncy chair this week and see how we get on on a mat - you're right, if DD needs me I'm sure someone will help with DS. I'll take the sling too, but DS is pushing 15lbs so it is easier playing with DD without him strapped to me.

Thank you all for your replies.

3boys3dogshelp Wed 30-Apr-14 20:31:21

Do you have a sling or carrier for ds? If so take him in that and dd in single buggy. You'll definitely fit through the door and at a push could lie ds in single buggy. If he is happy leave him in the sling and play with your dd. Once you know people a bit they'll be queueing up for a cuddle with your baby :-). It's exhausting the first couple of times but stick with it and I promise you will get to know people and it seems much easier.

3boys3dogshelp Wed 30-Apr-14 20:32:38

Cross post sorry!

YellowYoYoYam Wed 30-Apr-14 20:37:13

I'm more worried about DD, I wish I could devote time to helping her settle in to a group, she's really still a baby herself. I can see her either being very shy and needing my help, or going a bit wild. Also, she'll need my help with a lot of 'big' toys like bikes or slides.

I guess I'll just have to go and see how it goes!

addictedtosugar Wed 30-Apr-14 20:39:23

I did the sling route.
Double pushchair to the group, then transfer DS2 into sling.
Most of the Mum's would help me out if I needed it.
Enjoy your group. Toddler groups second time round has netted me some good mates. First time round I didn't bond with anyone.

Littleturkish Wed 30-Apr-14 20:46:01

I would also see if you could leave a cheapy bouncy chair there and explain? Would be great if you didn't have to cart it about each week.

Good luck! Bet you'll have a great time.

YellowYoYoYam Wed 30-Apr-14 20:49:03

Oh that's a good idea Little, I'll see how it goes this week and ask the organisers if I think it'd be useful.

Bumpsadaisie Wed 30-Apr-14 21:07:20

This is fine! Someone did this very thing at our toddlers today. Do what you want to do.

Willthisworknow Wed 30-Apr-14 21:55:51

I think toddler gps have seen it all so wouldn't worry about your children. I find the folk that go the biggest challenge. Most villages I'm sure have great toddlers... But mine had a group of cliquey folks who didn't speak to me when I went. So much going for a chat and welcoming all.... But know that ain't the norm. I go to other groups and you always find nice folk!

happygelfling Thu 01-May-14 02:29:37

Same as some of the other posters: I take DD (2.5yo) in the pushchair and DS (4mo) in a front carrier. It's been fine.
I recently went back to one of the toddler & baby groups that I'd tried when DD was a baby and been a bit terrified by all these enormous toddlers charging about. Now I have an enormous toddler who charges about, the group seemed really quite calm...! wink
The other thing that has worked for me is going to toddler groups with a friend who has a toddler but no baby. If I need to sit down to feed DS, DD is happy to continue playing our friends. (I owe some big boxes of chocolate, I think!)

Thumbwitch Thu 01-May-14 02:33:24

Can you not just leave DS in the pushchair? That's what I did for the very short time that I had both DS1 and DS2 going to playgroup together.

I would be wary about taking a bouncy chair and leaving it there unless you are the only person with a baby who needs one - otherwise you might find someone else commandeers it for their child!

MiaowTheCat Thu 01-May-14 07:38:42

Ours have a couple of bouncy chairs anyway, or the one at the children's centre knows I'm wrangling two kids so help keep an eye out on them (DD1 is an escape artist).

May get flamed for this (I know the rules about car seat time) but it's one time when those infant carrier carseats really do come into their own as well.

jaynebxl Thu 01-May-14 07:45:00

Hope you get on ok. Taking my toddler and baby to the local group twice a week was the highlight of my week when mine were little so I hope you find it smoother than you imagined.

MrsCripps Thu 01-May-14 07:46:26

I wouldn't leave my baby unattended in a bouncy chair - I would worry about other toddlers who might be curious or that the baby would get trampled wild toddler group veteran
Take the baby in a sling and just carry around with you or in a car seat and have next to you.

Willabywallaby Thu 01-May-14 12:30:07

I hope it goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now