please tell me what a baby needs to wear

(36 Posts)
Armadale Wed 30-Apr-14 12:21:46

I'm due in August (although a good chance will be induced early so trying to get prepared in case).

What actually does a baby wear?

I've just been in a shop staring at long sleeve, short sleeved, vests etc and I just don't know which to buy/dress baby in.

First three months Aug-oct will be warmish, and then 3-6 months obviously I am going to need things that are a lot warmer, particularly at night as our bedroom is cold even with the heating on.

Can you please tell me what your baby wore at first. Thanks!

stargirl1701 Wed 30-Apr-14 21:51:43

Only my storage skills, Armadale grin

All gifts from DD's birth and stored in the loft in clearly labelled boxes! We were overwhelmed by gifts for DD. She had 92 separate outfits for age 3-6 months! We kept 30 outfits for each size (unisex) for this bump. Oddly, not a single gift 0-3 months so she wore white for the first wee while as that was all I had bought.

Armadale Wed 30-Apr-14 22:02:19

92 outfits grin

Bedsheets4knickers Wed 30-Apr-14 22:41:24

August baby a cotton sleep suit will be fine x

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 30-Apr-14 23:15:46

Get one of these for when the weather starts getting cooler.

There's a handy sleep guide here and I agree with the others, generally its one more layer than you but if its hot! its one less layer than you.

This from the Lullaby Trust might be helpful too smile

ShoeWhore Wed 30-Apr-14 23:24:02

My summer babies wore either short sleeved vest and babygro or when really hot either just a short sleeved vest or little rompers (like a short sleeved vest but with shorts legs) which were very cute. Agree with checking the back of their neck (or actually their chest is easier) to test they aren't too cold or warm too.

They didn't seem to need cardigans until they were a bit bigger, although we found a shawl quite handy to tuck round them when holding them/in the pram etc (full size blankets can be a bit bulky for this)

Armadale Thu 01-May-14 10:18:50

The hoodie wraps on the link are unbearably cute, Jilted!
Also the handy sleep guide is brilliant, thanks.

I think I'm going to buy the vests and sleepsuits from m and s or somewere practical online and then maybe take myself off somewhere where they have nice baby bits and choose a couple of lovely blankets.

I have a 26 week growth scan today, so if that is fine maybe I'll buy one as a little celebration smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 01-May-14 19:45:55

They are cute aren't they smile

Hope the scan went well today and you have your get up with a brewsmile

Boomerwang Fri 02-May-14 11:06:26

I still giggle at the muslin/muslim mix ups smile

Don't get too much at once, as you've said you might find your baby is too big for the tiny stuff. Since they grow sooo fast you'll be ebaying/charity-ing/casting clothing before you know it. Family and friends will fall over themselves to get something cute. Some people actually live for a new baby to arrive in the family so that they can justify choosing and buying baby clothing!

Everybody has given great advice. The muslin thing is awesome, really. Huge ones, not the little ones, and everybody sells them. Get about 10. Use them for absolutely every 'gonna get messy' scenario.

Other than that you might need scratch mittens or you could use some old socks if they are small enough, one or two hats - in August I'd be going for cotton and linen (with comfortable linings) and unless the room is very warm they stay on unless the immediate surroundings provide protection (i.e. cot bedding) because they can lose a lot of heat through their head.

If in doubt, do as other mn'ers have said and check the back of the neck for temperature. You can do it on yourself, it really is warm when the rest of you feels cool to the touch :P

HugoTheHippo Fri 02-May-14 16:15:43

Congratulations! My DD was born in August last year when it was really hot so for a while she just wore short sleeve bodysuits and nothing else during the day. Usually a babygrow at night. I have found that a lot of people seem to overdress their babies - wrapping them up in layers with hats and blankets even when the weather is quite warm. My niece was like this and was v grizzly until HV spotted it and advised SIL to take some clothes off and they discovered she was covered in a heat rash! As it got colder/DD got bigger she wore a lot of bodysuits and leggings with jumper or cardigans and socks. Still does tbh. I found getting socks slightly on the large side worked as you can pull them up to the knee and they don't fall off as easily. We never bothered with scratch mitts as they always fall off in seconds - just kept DD's nails trimmed. Alternative for girls is simple cotton/stretchy dresses with a bodysuit underneath and tights. Much as I love pretty baby party-style dresses they are completely impractical! Uncomfy for a very little one and annoying for a slightly older one as they get messy and they can't move in them.

I am a sucker for cute baby girl outfits though...

Secretscary Fri 02-May-14 19:53:14

Congrats!

Consider fastenings. Poppers rather than buttons. Avoid things up to 3 months that do up along the back as baby will spend all day lying on poppers and doing then up is a faff.

Always consider a) could I do this up in the dark,b) could I dress a squirming cat in it (babies are just as helpful), c) how blatant will white dribble be. Patterns help hid the odd dribbley bit (sloven mummy here!)

Also if you suspect you might wake in the night and want to check baby is breathing (maybe that is just me) then stripes help you pick out the movement without poking the baby!

GoogleyEyes Fri 02-May-14 20:39:49

I'd add that hoods look cute, but are bulky to lie on and get in the way if you're lying the baby down. As does anything on the back of the outfit - poppers, bows, buttons, any excess material eg dresses / skirts.

Tops with hoods are useful if you're planning to use a sling, though, as they can't fall off and can provide shade / rain protection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now