I can't take this anymore.

(33 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 29-Apr-14 23:09:21

DS has had screaming episodes in the past - screaming for 8 hours was his record - but it was always sporadic. Most nights he'd be fine and then we'd have the occasional bad night but I accepted that's just what babies do.

However, the last 3 nights have been unbearable. I'm sitting here now, absolutely crying my eyes out because I just can't take it anymore.

Sunday night he screamed for 4 hours non-stop, last night it was over 3 hours and so far tonight it's been going on for 5.5 hours and there's no sign of it stopping.

He seems in so much pain and nothing I do is helping. I just can't listen to it anymore, I feel like I'm cracking up.

We have tried Infacol and Gripe water but it doesn't seem to make any difference. A&E prescribed us Gaviscon but it isn't like he's vomiting and because he's breast fed it's not the most practical option. We have tried as mummy but that soothes him temporarily, maybe giving us a few minutes break from the screaming, but then it starts all over again.

He's like it in the day too . That's what makes it so hard, I know that the night will be horrendous and the I'll just have to listen to it all day tomorrow too. I'm actually jealous of my DH who gets to go to work.

I absolutely love my son but I feel myself getting angry and frustrated, but it's just because I'm so upset to see him so distressed and I just don't know what to do.

I wish I could stop crying but I can't.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Thu 01-May-14 09:44:14

Ask for a referral to paed's, because in general GP's don't acknowledge this kind of problem in my opinion, go straight to the horses mouth - sounds like silent reflux to me

Writerwannabe83 Thu 01-May-14 10:03:56

Thanks for your advice. I have started another thread going into more detail about our usage of Infacol and Gaviscon.

I will also see what the Lactation Consultant says on Saturday regarding my attachment and possible tongue tie. If she can't come up with any explanation then I will go and see the GP on Monday. I'm guessing referral to Paeds is a long wait between the referral and actually being seen?

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Thu 01-May-14 11:21:34

When we asked for referral three years ago it took about a week to get the letter and appointment a week later, they are usually quite good with kids

Theyaremysunshine Thu 01-May-14 12:11:11

If you do get a referral to paeds, and I wouldn't wait any longer to ask, take a video of him at his worst to take with you. Just incase he has one of those infuriating moments of complete calm in front of the consultant.

Hang on in there.

kinkytoes Thu 01-May-14 14:23:17

Just another thought - it couldn't be teething pain could it? Would be worse at night and also affect his latch...

ihaveadirtydog Thu 01-May-14 14:34:31

Sounds a lot like my DD at that age -screaming, arching away from breast etc. she had silent reflux. Absolutely hideous - I really feel for you. Please push for ranitadine - it did an amazing job. I think (not sure) that the lactation consultant was able to prescribe it so def worth discussing it with her. Otherwise I'd camp out at GPs / OOH until they sort something - don't wait until Monday - that's a lot of crying!

DO you have a stretchy sling? Good for keeping them upright & comforting them.

Tongue tie also worth investigating - I'm not convinced DD didn't have one as younger DS was subsequently treated for one and fed beautifully after it was snipped.

TheSlagOfSnacks Thu 01-May-14 19:41:58

I can't add to the good advice you've already been given but I just wanted to say that I really really feel for you.

Reading your post I just wanted to give you and your DS a big hug. I hope the GP can help - don't let them fob you off. It needs sorting if only for the effect it's having on you.

Hang in there. thanks

Writerwannabe83 Fri 02-May-14 03:49:52

Thanks for your advice and support everyone.

We decided to cut out the Gripe Water ( he hadn't had any for 30 hours now) and he has been a little better. This evening could potentially turned into a screaming frenzy but we managed to contain him with a dummy and stomach rubs. He then slept for 4 hours until I woke him for a feed. He had a short feed and fell straight back to sleep.

I'm going to try Cranial Osteopathy as so many people have recommended it.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be back behind the wheel after my CS and I'm going on a hunt for some Colief smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now