When did your baby smile?

(27 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 29-Apr-14 12:54:46

My HV has just been round to see my 5wk 3day old baby and asked if he was smiling?

I couldn't 100% say he does! I'm sure I've seen expressions that look like smiles but I've probably passed them off as wind etc so in all honesty I don't really know. I couldn't put my hand on my heart though and say that yes he does smile and it is a regular occurrence. But nor would I say for definite that he doesn't.

She told me that babies should be smiling by now and it's something I need to keep an eye on sad

I won't lie, she has left me feeling quite worried and a little bit upset actually.

Hopefully Tue 29-Apr-14 13:01:11

I've always read/heard that 6-8 weeks is 'normal' for smiling, so your HV is (unsurprisingly, for a HV) talking crap.

Singsongmama Tue 29-Apr-14 13:07:54

Unbelievable! I'm so sorry to hear that you've been upset and I understand why. A HV should not make you worried and upset but supported and cared for.

I really wasn't keen to say my DS was smiling until I was totally sure. It was my mum who came round one day and said...oh my goodness, when did he start smiling at you? And then I felt more confident and sure enough as weeks passed those early expressions did turn into big grins.

You know your baby and give it time, there seems to be a mad rush for babies to do this/do that. 5/6 weeks isn't long on this earth! I'm sure that soon you'll see big smiles and if not then you can identify that yourself without a H V making you feel judged and upset!

Trooperslane Tue 29-Apr-14 13:11:53

Your HV is an eejit.

6 weeks for dd but I think that's on the early side.

ScrambledSmegs Tue 29-Apr-14 13:13:45

Think DD1 was about 7-8 weeks when I could be sure that what she was doing was smiling, before that it was 50:50 whether it was wind or not.

Your HV sounds a bit irresponsible, to make you worry like that.

Sid77 Tue 29-Apr-14 13:20:26

No wonder you're upset - what a crazy thing to say!! I was always told that babies start smiling 6-8 weeks, some earlier and some later. Your baby is just lovely, don't worry and enjoy the smiles when they come. Which they will smile

Lolly86 Tue 29-Apr-14 13:26:29

Dd was 5/6 weeks but that was early. Don't worry, youR DS will be grinning very soon x

MorelloKisses Tue 29-Apr-14 13:28:53

Ignore her!

dd. Could contort her face into a kinda smile , but it was certainly not a proper smile or associated with seeing someone/thing until 8 weeks.

I know because she saved it for my birthday!!!

ChunkyPickle Tue 29-Apr-14 13:30:08

Nah - mine were smiling at about 8 weeks, but not before. Every HCP would ask though, and have a slightly concerned look when I said no (or perhaps I imagined it).

Both seem pretty normal to me. I'm obviously just not amusing enough.

Lostinspace1 Tue 29-Apr-14 13:32:41

About 5 1/2 weeks, but every baby is different, just as every pregnancy is different.

Don't worry.

HolidayCriminal Tue 29-Apr-14 13:54:08

Smiling by now?! I always thought it was a 6-8 week thing, too.

mummratheevertired Tue 29-Apr-14 13:56:01

DS smiled at 4 weeks (a proper big gummy smile when we tickled him) DD smiled at 8 weeks - they're all so different don't worry.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 29-Apr-14 14:00:29

Dd was 2 weeks, ds smiled and laughed from birth. No idea why but the midwives said they see it occasionally.

6 weeks is average though. Please don't worry.

PrincessBabyCat Tue 29-Apr-14 17:33:08

Well, mine has been sleep laughing since 3 weeks, but no social or reaction smiles. She's just playing with face expressions. They'll all smile on their own good time.

I didn't smile until 4 months and could scoot around on my own and explore. Then I smiled non stop. I wouldn't worry, different babies develop in different areas at different times.

My twins were 6 weeks prem and both of them smiled at 11 weeks. Every baby is different.

PurplePidjin Tue 29-Apr-14 19:50:25

5 1/2 weeks we "gave" his first "official smile" to 5yo dn (very proud big cousin) because ds's face clearly changed when dn danced into the room.

Was a wee bit longer for it to become reliable though iirc smile

PollyP0429 Tue 29-Apr-14 20:53:14

Ignore your HV, mine has a nasty habit of making me panic too, its only after I speak to my mum I realise how stupid it sounds.

Mine was about 7 weeksish when they were obvious real smiles

mrsmugoo Tue 29-Apr-14 21:46:09

DS is 7 weeks tomorrow and starting to do some little smiles now but they're still just upturned corners of mouth, not "smiling with his eyes"

LynetteScavo Tue 29-Apr-14 22:02:21

They say 6 weeks is average. My DC were all early smilers, but they were all two weeks over due, so if 6 weeks is average there will be other babies who don't smile until 9 weeks- presumably babies born at 37 weeks.

Loueytb3 Tue 29-Apr-14 22:05:20

12 weeks here but he was 36 weeks so it was 8 weeks corrected. I was concerned and mentioned to my HV who said anything up to 8 weeks was normal. He then smiled the next day -little bugger Your HV clearly doesn't know this.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 29-Apr-14 22:09:06

Oh thank you everyone, I feel so reassured!!

To be fair to him, DS is really suffering with colic and trapped wind so doesn't really have a lot to smile about...

flingingmelon Tue 29-Apr-14 22:12:56

DS at 10 weeks, hasn't stopped since smile

HugoTheHippo Tue 29-Apr-14 22:29:46

My DD smiled for the first time at about five weeks, but then not again for another week or so and not regularly until she was about two months. And she was ten days overdue! I wouldn't worry OP - you LO will be smiling soon enough!

MummyPig24 Thu 01-May-14 06:43:57

Ds1 and ds2 were both around 6 weeks. Dd was 4 weeks.

Writerwannabe83 Fri 02-May-14 11:04:11

OMG - he totally just smiled!!!

It was when I was towel drying his hair!!

It was amazing, I feel so excited and full of love!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now