8 yr old word for testicles?

(47 Posts)
RandomInternetStranger Tue 22-Apr-14 03:33:46

This may be really stupid but...

I've always taught DD that boys have a penis and we sometimes call it a willy, girls have a vagina and we sometimes call it a tiddy, breasts we call boobs etc. We're getting deeper into it at the moment because I'm pg and she wants to know more about how it happens and bodies etc and I'm happy to tell her but just been reading through a book on the subject I've got her for us to go through together and it goes into testicles and how they make sperm etc.

So long story short - is is OK for an 8 yr old girl to say balls, or nuts? I can't work out if it's vulgar or actually a very accurate and normal word for them. When I was young they were goolies which I think is fine but is it a bit silly or unnecessary? What the concensus here, what do your kids call them??

TIA!

CorusKate Tue 22-Apr-14 20:33:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Martorana Tue 22-Apr-14 20:28:09

Testicles. Or balls. Or nuts.

Or, to embarrass ds, tentacles- because that's what he called them when he was little.

MewlingQuim Tue 22-Apr-14 20:23:33

I haven't heard goolies for years either.

Reminds me of my best friends dad doing drunken charades of The Goonies hmm

RoganJosh Tue 22-Apr-14 15:28:07

I'd consider balls to be a bit rude (and fart). We use testicles here. Children are age 2-6.

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 22-Apr-14 15:20:09

Nads.

odyssey2001 Tue 22-Apr-14 15:11:08

Nuggets.

CorusKate Tue 22-Apr-14 14:59:25

moogalicious Tue 22-Apr-14 14:21:48

Ds (9) calls them balls, nads or nuts. As do my dds.

RandomInternetStranger Tue 22-Apr-14 14:20:51

CousKate that's the thing, it was when I was little (and still is according to my parents) but I can't actually think why - it's exactly what they are - balls, in a ball sack, but it doesn't sound quite right to me but that may be my upbringing more than logic. (I still can't say fart in front of them and mouth it soundlessly!!)

ItsSpringBaby Tue 22-Apr-14 14:19:15

Usually I just say your "privates", unless I'm being specific (lol which is rare) in which case I will say balls.

CorusKate Tue 22-Apr-14 14:15:19

whatadrama Tue 22-Apr-14 14:11:10

I'm relieved to see peanuts is a common and acceptable term as Ds appears to have adopted it.

I cant complain, its far better than calling them Brian and Dave which they were lovingly referred to last year confused

Bowlersarm Tue 22-Apr-14 13:52:04

Balls here.

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 13:49:54

yep, I was wrong.
the vaginal opening is part of the vulva, not the vagina itself.

<eats humble pie>

and I didn't know that there's a term "pubic mound"!confused

anyway back to testicles my 3 year old uses that word (and he also says balls as well as penis and willie) so I think that's perfectly fine for an 8 year old to use.

RandomInternetStranger Tue 22-Apr-14 12:53:35

Off to Google corona after thinking it was just a beer blush

Thanks for the replies! Having a girl in an all girl school and no men or brothers around this has never come up before!! grin

Purpleroxy Tue 22-Apr-14 11:45:05

My 8yo says nuts/peanuts/balls. Whilst balls isn't particularly polite, I think it is alright.

splendide Tue 22-Apr-14 11:40:16

I thought vulva was just external, it doesn't include vagina. So to say girls have a vagina and a vulva is correct. Evict yourself from pedants' corner!

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 10:17:38

Endy

technically vulva is the collective term to include all parts of the female genitalia (so vagina, clitoris, labia major,labia minor, corona - did I forget anything?) so vulva and vagina are not interchangeable terms.

sorry for being annoying!wink

<puts self in pedants' corner>

myitchybeaver Tue 22-Apr-14 10:17:01

My granny called it 'butcher's shop'. I still think it but wouldn't say it out loud.

Forago Tue 22-Apr-14 10:14:44

testicles here but also peanuts/nuts and walnut whip (my mother thought ds1, newborn, testicles looked like one an dit kind of stuck)

ZingHasAHotCrossBunInTheOven Tue 22-Apr-14 10:10:51

testicles

or balls

FuckyNell Tue 22-Apr-14 08:35:57

Nutbag

Morgause Tue 22-Apr-14 08:03:42

I saw here on mumsnet the perfect pseudonym for the whole package.

"Gentleman's vegetables"

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Tue 22-Apr-14 07:58:57

We do talk about testicles, but I wanted him to know other terms as he will hear them in the playground.

Endymion Tue 22-Apr-14 07:56:29

Mine call them testicles. Dcs are dd 10, ds1 8 and ds2 4.

I don't know why you wouldn't talk about testicles?

They know that the testicles are in a bag called the scrotum.

Dd has a vulva and vagina. For some reason she called it a Gina when she was little (guess it sounds similar) and on occasion she will refer to her vagina.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now