What to dress 5 month old in on Mediterranean holiday

(18 Posts)
PeaceLillyDoge Mon 14-Apr-14 05:50:37

We're taking our baby on holiday when she'll be five months old and I've no idea what to dress her in whilst we're out there so that she can keep cool and protected from the sun.

I thought I'd just dress her in Vests and Sleepsuits until forever but this now seems slightly impractical if it's hot and sunny.

Any advice gratefully received!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 14-Apr-14 06:24:00

rompers?

Very thin cotton dresses?

Tbh you will have to keep her in the shade most of the day so she will always be a little cooler anyways. Oh and a massive hat.

Babies can get sunstroke through the soles of their feet as well as their heads, so try to keep them out of the sun as much as possible.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 14-Apr-14 06:25:44
ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 14-Apr-14 06:26:41
munchkinmaster Mon 14-Apr-14 06:28:29

When it was the hot summer with my wee one in uk I had her in her vest only as too hot in anything else. She spent a lot of the time in the pram with a huge muslin over the top covering the whole thing for shade. I'd put sun cream on her too.

I'd say thin rompers, vests, just take her out in the shade.

munchkinmaster Mon 14-Apr-14 06:30:40

Yes I remember we had ones like the next ones. I had these vests from boots too that had a little skirt attached . Sounds naff but at least she looked dressed .

Rosa Mon 14-Apr-14 06:32:54

Thin cotton , natural fibres and you can get 90% cotton socks for when you are out and about. muslin or fine cotton sarong to drape over when walking/ out and about as often a sunshade/ umbrella doesn't cover all of them.

PeaceLillyDoge Mon 14-Apr-14 06:35:35

Thanks!

I always wondered what the point of romper suits were, now I know. Daft question but do you put a vest on underneath them?

I thought I would have to put her in full sleeves to keep her covered?

She'll be in the shade as much as possible, I'm paranoid about even the slightest bit if sun getting on her as we're really pale.

I never knew they could get sunstroke through the soles of their feet, scary!

Very helpful, thank you

PeaceLillyDoge Mon 14-Apr-14 06:37:23

A sarong is a brilliant idea to drape over! Thanks!

munchkinmaster Mon 14-Apr-14 06:53:29

Mine was too hot with a vest. I also bought little hair clip things from boots to hold my big muslin onto the pram hood, otherwise it blew off.

PieceOfTheMoon Mon 14-Apr-14 07:04:56

Can't do links, but we got a prince lionheart pushchair shade from amazon - completely covers them up a bit like a rain cover. Also a babymoov UV tent was useful for on the beach.

Rosa Mon 14-Apr-14 07:14:11

No vest one or the other. I used pegs to hold the sarong on . Decathlon have good value pop up tents as well.

JonathanGirl Mon 14-Apr-14 07:25:30

I would get a proper UV sunshade for the pushchair, and a liner for the pushchair as well - sheepskin is good, or you can get cheaper cotton or towelling ones, I found they make a massive difference.

I would probably dress her in loose cotton dresses or rompers, and bring a blanket for colder evenings in the pushchair

Sirzy Mon 14-Apr-14 07:29:52

www.amazon.co.uk/Sunshine-Kids-30035-Shade-Maker/dp/B002WB237I/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

I had one of them for DS when he was little and it was fantastic

AwfulMaureen Mon 14-Apr-14 07:31:27

We were in Australia for a year with our newborn and we used to dress her in thin rompers with sleeves, a hat and a sunshade on her pram always. You have to be very careful as they do feel the heat and it's easy for them to get too hot.

Scotinoz Mon 14-Apr-14 08:31:07

I'm in Oz and in the summer (40 degree heat) my baby wore nice vests, and the odd cotton sun suit. I just kept her in the shade, a large muslin pegged over the pram does the job.

Keeping them out of the sun is the best plan, or just covered. If you go inside with air con remember to shove layers back on!

Suppose it's all my wee one knows but the heat and sun isn't too much of a drama to be honest.

PeaceLillyDoge Mon 14-Apr-14 10:44:25

Thank you all. I never would have thought to peg a muslin over the pushchair but that's a really good idea.

DirtyDancing Mon 14-Apr-14 19:43:50

Just to add that I read an article that said Muslin has very low SPF protection. Upshot after tests was just factor 5!

www.breezybub.com.au/baby-care/sun-safety/muslins/

But this needs to be weighed up with giving your child some access to sunlight and vitamin D which they won't get in factor 50 sun lotion & behind a uv visor all day. 10 mins in the weak sun at 9am & 4pm is good for them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now