The sort of play I didn't think existed anymore

(22 Posts)
Livvylongpants Sun 13-Apr-14 22:46:36

When I was young all the kids in the street played together from 3 upwards, watched by whichever adults were free and generally roamed a little. Where we live now there is a fair few kids, but you never really see them out unless its a group of 10/11 year olds

Went to SIL earlier and they have a green out the front of there house, there was a group if kids all playing football/tag etc together. Age 5 - 13. DD was desperate to go out but being 2 I thought they would want her in the way

One of the older girks must have seen DD watching from the window and knocked to see if she wanted to Join in. I went our with her but sort of stayed in the front garden and let her get on with it

They held her hand and let her boss them about, they included her in their games and didn't mind if she didn't understand the rules or when she kept picking the ball up and running with it, or the fact she called them all Lou-Lou even though none of them are called that.

She played out for 2 hours till it started to go dark (she had a nap today which she never has so knew shed be up late)

I've no idea what the point of my thread is but I was a bit overwhelmed at how lovely it is to see a nice group of mixed age boys/girls all playing together and taking care if the younger ones. Was the best day my daughter had had in ages :D

Bimblepops Sun 13-Apr-14 22:49:06

That's lovely. Thank you for sharing that, has made me smile.

libertytrainers Sun 13-Apr-14 22:51:03

lovely, sound like nice kids!

Valpollicella Sun 13-Apr-14 22:54:36

Brilliant.

We have this where I live and I love it. Think its great for the kids too

chocolatespiders Sun 13-Apr-14 22:55:11

Sounds really good and how childhood should be! Thought earlier how few children I saw out on the estate today. We went to a nearby estate to go to scooter park and play cricket!

elQuintoConyo Sun 13-Apr-14 22:57:28

Sounds wonderful.

We were somewhere a couple of weeks ago in the countryside having a kind of barbecue, there were several children aged 5mo-10, and apart from the babies everyone was playing nicely. There was a two-person pedalo (don't ask!) in the garden and the children had a wonderful.time climbing all over it - parents took turns to watch over/chase/play hide and seek/kiss booboos etc. DS 2.4 loved it - the photos of him are great!

sonlypuppyfat Sun 13-Apr-14 22:58:09

What a nice story my DS is 15 and I've seen him help little ones join in, its lovely.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 13-Apr-14 23:21:35

The kids in my road play out together they range from about 5 or 6 to 10. They play all sorts of games, ride bikes etc and generally play the way I did as a kid. It's one of the best things about living where we do :D

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 13-Apr-14 23:25:18

That's so lovely. Real shame it's so rare to be able to do that now

SteamMopLover Sun 13-Apr-14 23:26:49

What a lovely story. I feel sad that my daughter may never experience this in London.

treaclesoda Sun 13-Apr-14 23:30:27

We live in a really quiet little cul de sac with next to no traffic and that's what it's like here. Ages from about 3 to 10 all playing together across all our front gardens (modern development so we're not allowed to fence off the gardens), loads of parents who can look out the window and see what they're at. It's the main reason we have never moved from here; I think my dc will look back on it as a fantastic part of their childhood.

makemineapinot Sun 13-Apr-14 23:31:08

That's what my children have! Love it - although ds is becoming too teenagery and has to be prised from his room and xbox controller to actually go out and see the friends (same street) he is chatting to on xbox live!

storytopper Sun 13-Apr-14 23:35:09

Thanks for sharing. Really gives us hope for the future with lovely children like these around.

Livvylongpants Mon 14-Apr-14 07:39:22

They were so patient bless them, some of the dads can rout after about an hour with some cricket stumps and they all played cricket.

The kids where I live (10 minute walk from SIL) take the nick out of DD as she tries to wave And say hello to them.

The girls especially were amazing, all day in a circle with her singing nursery rhymes and trying to teach her to say their names still called them all Lou-Lou though

They were even nice to her when despite my best attempts she kept running across the cricket pitch and making them has to wait to play :D

Hassled Mon 14-Apr-14 07:42:04

That does sound lovely - the sort of experience I had as a kid but I don't think any of my DCs have had.

GuineaPigGaiters Mon 14-Apr-14 07:45:41

This is why we need greens and commons in modern housing planning. We lived round a green when I was a kid and it was exactly as you have described. We live in. The middle of nowhere so no greens here as we don't need them, but when we were looking at estate houses I was struck bathe lack of open, car-free areas for children to play in. It's sad.

HolidayCriminal Mon 14-Apr-14 07:55:14

In my childhood we played out but there were no supervising adults; I'm sure that defeated the purpose from the adult POV.

My old neighbourhood (12 yrs ago) we had masses of kids playing out most days, looking after each other, multi-ages. Lots of sports games going on (down the road). In the street because it was a poor neighbour hood with no green space, surrounded by busy roads, too. All the kids except mine (because I did stand & supervise) were Bangladeshi-British.

MummyPig24 Mon 14-Apr-14 07:57:22

That sounds lovely. A friend of mine lives on a little green and we often go over there so our children can ride their bikes and play football. If my friends nieces and nephews are over too it's great to see a big group of them playing.

MummyPig24 Mon 14-Apr-14 07:58:28

Children do play out on our street but there is no green and we are close to the main road, people drive fast down here so I don't think I will let my children play out .

Livvylongpants Mon 14-Apr-14 09:18:42

That's the problem here as we live next to a busy road, Rhe houses by SIL are sort if in a circle with a single track road out with the green in the middle of the houses so everyone can see all the kids from the living room. I suppose they need the green as their garden is tiny whereas we have a very large garden but don't really know the local kids.

I agree that more new estates should have greens or commons for the kids, the one by SIL isn't very big but makes such a difference

BornOfFrustration Mon 14-Apr-14 09:23:39

Our old house was on a modern estate with a big green out front. It's the only thing that makes me miss that house. We are on a main road now so DD will never have that. It sounds lovely.

allcatsaregrey Mon 14-Apr-14 12:05:29

thats what its like where i live. kids out running around all day. i live on a scottish housing scheme where i suspect most mumsnetters wouldnt be seen dead. but what you describe is common here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now