Do babies bottles etc need a steriliser?

(31 Posts)
fourbythree Sat 05-Apr-14 17:22:24

I'm sure I read somewhere that of you wash babies bottles/ tears etc thouraghly and run them through the dishwasher then they don't need sterilising as well... Have I dreamt this or has anyone experience or references for this?
Thanks grin

fourbythree Sat 05-Apr-14 19:33:40

Thanks everyone - I'll look out the microbiologist thread... This is baby no 4 for me and I tend to be on the side of germs being very good for kids.... However I can see that milk hanging around in bottles is prime bacteria fodder and despite planning to breast feed sure I'll have bottles around at some point.,, further research needed!

stargirl1701 Sat 05-Apr-14 19:34:00

US dishwashers use much hotter water than European dishwashers. They do not have to be as energy efficient.

You should sterilise if using powdered formula. Breast milk and liquid formula are a lower risk. The bacteria found in powdered formula is dangerous.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 05-Apr-14 19:38:45
fourbythree Sat 05-Apr-14 19:52:23

Thanks for the link.... It's a really interesting bit of info... They aren't even suggesting dishwasher are they?

PansOnFire Mon 07-Apr-14 00:37:46

I've been told to sterilise as long as we're using bottles because of the bacteria from the milk, so I'm doing that. Not sure of the science behind it but I'm very much of the "better safe than sorry" mindset. I'm sure others would disagree.

KatyN Mon 07-Apr-14 21:13:01

If you don't want to buy a steriliser we used Milton solution very successfully.
I quite like the smell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now