When did you child's hair turn blonde?

(29 Posts)
Mamabear12 Sat 05-Apr-14 04:11:00

My son was born with dark brown hair, but in photos it would come out looking red or orange and now he is five months, and in photos his hair looks blondish. He lost a lot of his dark hair, but majority looks darky brown (what's left of newborn dark hair). In the sunlight he has a lot of tiny hairs coming through that look blonde. Or are they blonde bc they still tiny hairs? He has blue eyes. Father is blonde and blue eyes. I'm dark hair and eyes, daughter has darker eyes then me and dark hair. So kids are completely different colouring. I'm curious if his hair will end up being blonde.

When did your child's hair turn blonde? I know a lot are born w drk hair that falls out and grows back blonde. But when did you know what hair colour ur child's hair would be?

Chottie Sat 05-Apr-14 04:14:19

Both my DC were born blonde and have never been any other hair colour.

Blueberrybaby Sat 05-Apr-14 04:20:17

My DD was born with extremely dark brown hair at birth. DH born with very dark hair and kept it, never went another colour. I'm not sure if I lost my hair, I don't think I did, but it turned lighter and lighter. I was blonde by the time I was 2 or 3. DD hasn't lost any of her baby hair. She has very dark tips and then it has grown in a lighter brown and I remember seeing what I thought were blonde roots. I'm still not sure what will happen. I think she may get lighter and lighter, but who knows. She's 11 months now.

NinjaLeprechaun Sat 05-Apr-14 04:53:23

My hair is very dark brown with strong suggestions of red, my ex has dark blonde/light brown hair. Daughter spent her first year wavering between having very blonde and reddish hair. It was nearly colourless white blonde for years through her childhood, gradually going quite red and gradually darker around puberty, and at 18 her hair is a lovely light auburn colour. (In the interim it's also been purple, platinum, and several other things, but not on its own.)

Arohaitis Sat 05-Apr-14 05:00:40

Aparently 25% of the UK are born blonde <5% remain blonde as adults.

when my first was born the midwife said (as they popped out lol!) 'I haven't seen one that blonde for a long time!!"

StupidFlanders Sat 05-Apr-14 05:09:42

My most blonde was born with very dark hair and the blonde grew in similar to your ds. The others were the same. Some now have darker hair again but as I said, one stayed really blonde.

Arohaitis Sat 05-Apr-14 05:19:18

Although what i don't know is how many are born not blonde and are blonde adults!

NorthEasterlyGale Sat 05-Apr-14 12:05:43

I'm brown haired (I think - long time since I saw my natural colour grin) / brown eyed and DH is brown haired with grey eyes. DS1 was born blonde with blue eyes and at 22 months is still blonde with blue-grey eyes. When he was born I was very surprised to have a blonde son for some reason!

DS2 was born with very dark brown hair and brown eyes. At nearly six weeks, that remains the same. When he was born I was thinking 'WTF - why's he not blonde?'. I'd somehow convinced myself after DS1 that all sons would be blonde grin. Funny enough, when DS2 was very little, I did think I saw some little blonde hairs under it all, so you never know...

They couldn't look less alike - both are very cute though wink

exexpat Sat 05-Apr-14 12:08:57

My two both had brownish hair at birth, but most of that fell out by three or four months and grew back very blonde. They both stayed blonde as little children, but now (at 15 and 11) have basically brown hair, with blonde/reddish highlights.

Mine were all born with shades of mouse (though one did have that longish dark hair that falls out first) & turned proper blonde in the first summer after they were tiny - 3 born in April, 1 in July, so they had blonde hair from 12-15 months until adolescence.

(Now they are grown up they all have mousy hair again. The girls colour theirs of course!)

5madthings Sat 05-Apr-14 12:14:20

My boys were all born with dark hair, ds3 had masses of black hair at birth but by 13mths He was blonde. As they have got older it darkened again slightly but goes blonde in the summer apart from ds1 whose has gone properly dark again.

ZebraZeebra Sat 05-Apr-14 17:26:17

My DS is mixed race and blonde. He was very dark haired and dark skinned when he came out, hair all fell out and was very blonde growing back and his skin went very light for a while. His hair is sort of multi-tonal now - very white blonde, golden blonde and dark blonde - very curly! His skin is gradually becoming a sort of caramel shade. Genes are amazing, really. My family is pretty dark, it's only Mil that is fair. I suspect his hair will darken up as he gets older - it's a rare person with naturally blonde hair grin

DramaAlpaca Sat 05-Apr-14 17:33:17

DS1 & DS3 were both born with black hair, but it fell out quite quickly & grew back blonde. They were both blonde until they were about 13 when their hair started to get darker. Both now have mid-brown hair.

DS2 was born with no hair, when it came through it was ginger, and he's ended up with dark brown hair with distinct copper streaks in it.

RobinSparkles Sat 05-Apr-14 17:43:22

DD1 was born with very dark hair. She never lost it as a baby, it just, sort of, faded! It turned to a sort of sandy colour by the time she was 12 months and got lighter. It was summer so I thought that the sun had lightened it, but no. She's almost 7 and still blond albeit a dark blond.

She often says that she feels left out as me, DH and DD2 are all dark haired.

My nephews were both born with dark hair although nephew 2 was more ginger. By 6 months they both had blond, Spikey hair. Both still blond aged 15 and 5.

DS was born with wispy black hair, it fell out by about 3 months and was replaced by yellow-blonde hair, however over the years it has gone dark again, he's 10 now and it's a very dark mousey colour.

DD (8) followed the same pattern but hers has a slight redddish tinge.

NCRegular Sat 05-Apr-14 17:54:56

Born blonde here too.

omama Sat 05-Apr-14 20:48:45

My DS had golden brown hair at birth, started falling out about 3/4 months & started growing blonde at 5/6 months. He's still blonde at 3.8.
I was similar & stayed blonde until my twenties, am now mousey. DH was dark at birth, went blonde at around 6 months & then changed back to brown at around 3. His hair is now almost black.

Dd born with next to no hair but red eyebrows.
Now (age 3) she has the most beautiful chestnut curls. Still not very much of it though! She is desperate for longer hair.
She has been very lucky in the genes department - so far she seems to have the best features of both sides of the family. not that I am biased
It could have been very, very different story! grin
I cannot wait to see what dd2 will look like - due in June. smile

Jojay Sat 05-Apr-14 21:05:57

My DS 2 and 3 were both born dark, went blonde by their first birthday but by about 2 1/2 were distinctly mousey. Ds2 had very strange two tone hair for a while, blonde at the roots and dark at the end, until we had a trim and he went proper blonde.

I didn't last though <sniff>

Jojay Sat 05-Apr-14 21:07:55

Also, my goddaughter had the most beautiful corkscrew curls as a toddler. Now at 7 her hair is dead straight. It seems to change so much as they get older.

Yes, my DD had wispy curls for the first few years, but so fine and fluffy we eventually had it cut shorter and it has been dead straight ever since. Looks lovely now.

YoHoHoandabottleofWine Sun 06-Apr-14 07:57:08

DS1 was born blonde (took me by surprise, DH is very dark, assumed his colouring would be dominant). That hair was replaced with white-blonde hair, which turned 'strawberry blonde' by 18m and is now reddy-brown at 4. He still has white eyebrows which make him look fairer.

DS2 was born with brownish hair but the blonde came through by 3 months - you could see this fine blonde hair under the brown even at birth. By 1 year it was white blonde. At 2 1/2 it is darker at the roots, I think it will end up brown, or mousey like my own.

CrazyOldCatLady Sun 06-Apr-14 08:27:04

DD looked dark when she was born but by the time her hair was really noticeable she was blonde.

DS had a fine mop of dark hair when he was born. We brought the kids down the country for the weekend when he was 6 months and he turned blonde almost overnight. He was dark when we went and blonde when we got back. It was utterly bizarre.

It looks like they're both going to stay blonde and blue eyed now, even though DH is dark and I'm a redhead.

comicsansisevil Sun 06-Apr-14 08:30:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

matana Sun 06-Apr-14 09:15:54

Ds was blond as soon it started growing although he was pretty much bald until he turned one. At 3yo everyone comments on his blond hair. I am still the blondest in my family, my dh lost his blond hair as he got older and is now really dark. Ds' s paternal grandmother's family were all known for their fair hair until they were adults. So who knows what will happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now