How does teething pan out?

(17 Posts)
BotBotticelli Sat 05-Apr-14 13:16:14

My DS is 16mo and has 16 teeth! Has recently cut the 4 pointy ones (canines?) and got his four molars shortly after his first birthday.

He suffers with teething by being very grumpy and clingy during the day, nose streaming constantly (usually clear not green...green tends to mean a cold in our house) and his poos go really runny ad smell like sarsons vinegar sad

The teething has only really disrupted his sleep with the 4 molars that came through together (we had 3-4 nights of him waking a couple of times v upset and needing nurofen and a cuddle to get back to sleep)...and then we noticed the teeth had appeared!

Had another 3-4 nights of multiple wakings recently when the canines came through. Now we're back to normal with him sleeping from 7pm-6am.

I don't mind the odd disturbed nights but the runny bum and general grumpiness during the day is very wearing and in our house I would totally agree with the 30/70 split of happy/unhappy times since 4mo when he got his first teeth sad

Passmethecrisps Fri 04-Apr-14 22:20:22

We had no major issues with teething until very recently at 16 months and first molars. The rest caused irritation but no sleeplessness. Molars have been a bitch. 3 came at once though and caused a massive temp spike. We are on the last first molar and she is sleepless and clingy. Could be much worse

bamboostalks Fri 04-Apr-14 22:19:51

Neither of mine had any problems at all. Their teeth just came in, one day I'd look in and I'd see that they just popped up.

Alizzle Fri 04-Apr-14 22:17:49

chacha, we've never had a sleepless night from teeth so no bubble bursting here ;)

Alizzle Fri 04-Apr-14 22:16:45

our firsts appeared at 5 1/2 months (teething from 3 months) and we've had good breaks in between. He's 20 months now and I'm convinced hes had at least one second molar through but its hard to check. its been the worst time in our lives so far but BUT the good really does make up for the shitty days.

Chacha23 Fri 04-Apr-14 22:16:30

woke up this morning and dd (5 months) had her first tooth! now I know why she was grumpy all day yesterday...

she did sleep normally though, which I choose to believe means that I will get no sleepless night from her, ever. Please don't burst my bubble. grin

Some babies are not very bothered by teething. My twins are just 18 months and have 30 teeth between them. We have been very lucky as they are both fantastic teethers, I can honestly say that we haven't had one single sleepless night caused by teething. They have been a bit grumpy in the day at times but nothing horrendous or particularly frustrating.

I am so glad as I was dreading double teething.

Blankiefan Fri 04-Apr-14 22:10:36

Oooh - I like the Razzberry thing; any other products I should know about?

(we got the Ashton's & Parsons granules but DH takes the piss at their lack of science....)

MultipleMama Fri 04-Apr-14 21:50:13

My Dts has just been screaming and a nursing strike. Has only recently took to the Razzberry teether usually puts nothing in his mouth. His gums were red and swollen and yesterday I saw a tooth cutting through. He's also had a temp. His my only DC who hasn't drooled! Dtd hasn't started yet I hope she doesn't drool! Haha.

We had teeth constantly coming through in pairs and 4s from 4 months to about a year, then nothing until last week (21 months) when 2 second molars came in so only 2 left which I'm expecting next week smile

Snotty everytime and used to get a cough with it too....good luck!

I'm also expecting that once the last 2 come in ds will start sleeping the night and stop waking every few hours

slightlyglitterstained Fri 04-Apr-14 21:41:07

To be fair the smiley/snotty ratio hasn't been too bad for us (lot better than 30% smiley), partly thanks to DS very efficiently popping out teeth in pairs or occasionally four at a time (first molars).

So you might get lucky. Second molars not here yet though, sounds like those are the worst then?

beachesandbuckets Fri 04-Apr-14 21:33:38

It pans out with...them getting teeth (sorry, couldn't resist smile )

JacqueslePeacock Fri 04-Apr-14 21:33:15

Yes, and the second molars can appear closer to three than two. So you may be stuck with this rather longer than you expected. <bitter>

Theyaremysunshine Fri 04-Apr-14 21:31:08

Bumpsadaisie is so very right and accurate, sorry grin

Blankiefan Fri 04-Apr-14 17:27:54

Hmmm - that's not what we signed up for at all? To whom do I complain????

Bumpsadaisie Fri 04-Apr-14 17:22:12

It'll be phases. A few "good" weeks followed by a few "bad" weeks culminating with especially bad times when she gets her second molars at around two years!

Of course in the "good" you will probably be laid low by colds and lurgy some of the time, so realistically 30% "good sunny times" and 70% "snotty teething sleepless nights" times.

Sorry to be disheartening!

Good luck smile

Blankiefan Fri 04-Apr-14 17:16:50

I know it's different for every baby/every tooth, but can you share your experiences please.

DD is 5 months and it's just the start but so far we've had:

- 2 weeks of pretty active fist sucking/chomping
- this last week has seen the sucking / chomping become ferocious and intermittent screaming (not loads - maybe twice one day then once the next)
- she's also been incredibly snottery this last week. I know this isn't necessarily connected with the teething - with her less-than-sterile fist in gob for the last few weeks, I suspect she picked up a cold in nursery (and now DH has had it for two days too). I've had her to the GP in case of ear infection but nothing there.

So - will it be like this until she has a full set of gnashers or will it go away / reappear across the next (couple of?) years?

She's such a happy baby normally - we've been spoiled by her sunny disposition!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now