What was this for?

(6 Posts)
mrsleomcgary Thu 03-Apr-14 15:04:54

12 week old dd had a check up with a paediatrician today as she struggled with her blood sugars after birth (I'm diabetic and she had some insulin from me on her system). Dr just ran through the normal checks my health visitor does but did an extra I've never seen before. She pulled dd up by the hands so she was almost sitting up then let her fall backwards for a second, catching her before she hit her head (hope that makes sense,not sure how else to describe it) and commented that she 'wasn't quite there yet but only born at 38 weeks so still time'. As I say never had the health visitor do this so no idea what it's for,testing some reflex presumably? I should have asked at the time but dr was asking me questions and I never got round to it and all I can get from dr google is stuff about head injuries! Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

MrsPear Thu 03-Apr-14 15:10:15

Can't remember either but a doctor did that to both of mine at the same check . Hopefully someone can clarify ....

rrreow Thu 03-Apr-14 15:14:59

It's to test the startle reflex. They do it at the check on the day after the birth. Not heard of it being done at 12w (I didn't see anyone at 12w with my DS, but the Dr may have done it at the 8w check that we got - I guess it varies depending where you live) but it's normal.

mrsleomcgary Thu 03-Apr-14 15:26:25

Thanks rreow, don't remember it being done at birth but I was a bit busy hanging my head in shame from putting her nappy on backwards and not realising until the dr told me (PFB, can you tell lol)

ZuleikaD Thu 03-Apr-14 19:00:42

I would have assumed it was to see how well she was holding her own head up, actually.

wheresthelight Thu 03-Apr-14 20:58:35

It's tp check the reflexes, my dd had it done and they never explained to me either! It's nothing to worry about although it is bloody scary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now