10 week old not feeding well

(8 Posts)
littlecrumb Thu 03-Apr-14 05:45:35

I am FF & my 10 week old has always fed really well (with a bottle anyway!) but now in the last few days he drinks the first half of milk fine but as soon as I have winded him and go back to feed him the rest he doesn't seem want it. I can sometimes get just another 5 or 20ml only before he lets go again! It is taking forever to feed him. He will move his tongue around the teat and push the bottle out, then as soon as I take it out and assume he needs winding again, it turns out he doesn't, he acts like he is starving by sucking on my hand or his fingers etc. What is going on? He is also waking at night more since because I think he is not having enough milk in the day.

Please help!

stressbucket1 Thu 03-Apr-14 06:54:25

Is he ready to move up to the next size teat?

NickyEds Thu 03-Apr-14 09:19:57

Agree with stressbucket. I think size 2 teats are recommended from 3 months so he's nearly there-I think that around 10-15 minutes is a general rule of thumb- so if it's taking much more than that it might be worth giving them a try. My DS is 14 weeks and mix fed and we went to size 2 variflow about 2 weeks ago as DS was really fussing at his night feed.

littlecrumb Thu 03-Apr-14 13:56:51

Already tried that and didn't make any difference. Just made the milk he was drinking go down a bit faster.

Totesamazeballs Thu 03-Apr-14 13:59:51

Is it a development thing? Have you read the Wonder Weeks? Sometimes when they go through a developmental leap they find feeding boring and you have to cut down sensory stimulation to get them to focus on food.

littlecrumb Fri 04-Apr-14 12:53:25

Could possibly be that. It is getting worse though today! He is only having 10ml at a time and is very sleepy which isn't helping me get a feed down him. I am so frustrated and no idea what's going on.

NickyEds Fri 04-Apr-14 13:08:00

Is it normal sleepy for him? if it is I'd let him sleep, get good and hungry and see if it helps??? Does he just get bored half way through do you think- or does he seem to have had enough and actively not want any more?

littlecrumb Sun 06-Apr-14 11:37:45

He is much better now so not sure what was going on. He is having less at each feed than usual though but think he just doesn't need it. Probably because he has put a fair amount of weight on quickly so doesn't need any extra! Thanks for all the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now