9 day old baby keeps bringing his milk up.

(56 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sun 30-Mar-14 16:54:15

Hi everyone, my 9 day old baby is exclusively breast fed and throughout the day he has continually been bringing up his milk. The worst though has been just now when after his feed he had 4 episodes of vomiting and bringing up large volumes of his feed. I know people say it always looks more than it is, but I'm pretty sure the whole feed has come back up. Whenever he is sat up after a feed he brings some up and whenever he is winded he brings some up. He also brings milk up when he's asleep. It isn't a projectile form of vomiting but his whole mouth will fill with milk and it will just pour out.

I'm trying not to panic but it's my first and I have no idea what I'm doing really.

I'm going to wake him two hourly for feeds to ensure he's getting something in him but I don't even know if uh is is the right thing to do. At what point do I need to start worrying that something is wrong?

Writerwannabe83 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:03:27

We've had 24 hours now of him keeping all his feeds down. The Midwife thought his vomiting was because of trapped wind and she showed me and DH some really good techniques to get rid of the wind and it has made a huge difference!!

However, he's been put on antibiotics today by the GP as he has an infection under one of his thumb nails I'm gutted at the thought of him being on antibiotics at only 12 days old sad

NorthEasterlyGale Thu 03-Apr-14 07:14:39

Glad it's going so well - if you get a moment, could you share the winding techniques please? DS2 is making trapped wind (and the resulting chucking - I was thrown up on 4 times before breakfast yesterday!) his specialty at the moment and is reluctant to part with the precious wind!

Sorry to hear about the antibiotics - I had to have them about a week after my CS with DS1 as I had a wound infection and obviously DS1 got a little bit through my milk. Other than upsetting his tummy a little, it just gave him a bit of thrushy nappy rash that we got some canesten cream for; took a wee while but cleared up and didn't really seem to distress him. No idea if giving them direct might have the same effect but just thought I'd mention it so that if it does you know it's not unusual and can be easily remedied.

Hope he feels better soon smile

oscarwilde Thu 03-Apr-14 12:58:45

Hi Writer - it all sounds much improved. It might be worth slowing down on the expressing for a bit (unless you are in a lot of discomfort) so your body doesn't overproduce.

Congrats on your new baby - I hope the delivery all went well, I seem to remember that you were very nervous about it.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:00:39

The winding technique she showed was to sit him sideways across her lap and really lean him forwards and support his airway by holding his chin. She then put the palm of her hand at the very, very base of his back, literally where his buttocks start and rubbed really hard and slowly for about 10 times. Then she sat him up so he was still sideways on her lap but now upright and then she kept swaying him from side to side, kind of like rocking him...I.e bringing him towards her chest and then rocking him back away from her. She did this about 10 times too. Afterwards he returned him to an upright position and just left him sitting there and he would always do a big burp. If he hadn't burped within the minute she would repeat the cycle.

She also lay him on his back and rubbed the sole of his feet - again he gave a massive burp. Apparently there is a pressure point in their feet that triggers this response.

NorthEasterlyGale Thu 03-Apr-14 13:19:46

Thanks - that's a brilliant description and I'll give it a go!

Writerwannabe83 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:23:00

No problem - it took me and DH a while. To perfect the technique but it has worked so well. The last 2 nights DS has been like a different baby, so much more settled at night and he continues to keep his feeds down smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now