Ideas for 'whole class' party (village hall) that won't break the bank?!

(14 Posts)
Mandy21 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:34:09

DD is in reception. No other children around her birthday (would normally have tried to share) and feel like I/she should invite the whole class because I want to make a bit of an effort (haven't made much effort to date with playdates etc like I did with my other children so have a bit of a guilt complex going on so wanting to make a one time only party effort! Next year it'll be a tea party at home!!)

So will hire local village hall but wanted some suggestions as to what "entertainment" / activity we can do that would be fun and cheap.

I've looked at the usual entertainers but would ideally like to do something a bit different (she did that with her nursery friends last year). Couple of companies locally will do an animal show (so children can see / hold reptiles etc) or a cupcake decorating party but they're limited to 15 or so children. Would probably be 30 if we invited all the class.

I'm a bit dubious about going down the DIY route (worried I wouldn't be able to hold the children's attention for a couple of hours doing traditional party games etc) so if anyone has any suggestions, that would be fab.

Thanks

jojane Fri 28-Mar-14 12:37:57

We did for dd (but will need lots of helpers) a craft party with different tables - cupcake decorating, colouring, bracelet and badge making, races, pin the tail, party bag decorating, etc
Scavenger hunt if nice weather?

pussycatdoll Fri 28-Mar-14 12:40:07

A bouncy castle always goes down well
Just stick it in the middle &'play disco music
Usually about £50 to hire

Mandy21 Fri 28-Mar-14 12:50:03

Great ideas, thank you!

haggisaggis Fri 28-Mar-14 12:58:23

You can combine the bouncy castle with party games - I did it by splitting them into 3 or 4 groups (had coloured badges) - one group on bouncy castle, other groups play party games. Means the bouncy castle isn't over run (nominate an adult to supervise in advance). Also if you blow up loads of balloons, the dc (especially boys!) will more or less entertain themselves!
You can have a craft table with crowns or something to decorate as they come in. (again - nominate an adult in advance to look after this!)
It will be fun - just make sure you have plenty wine in for afterwards!

DoItTooJulia Fri 28-Mar-14 13:06:47

Tbh at that age they just want to run around and be with their friends, so DIY would be fine!

Get some face paints, some dressing up stuff, do a couple of pass the parcels, a pin the tail on the donkey, a garden cane to do limbo, musical statues and so on. Loads cheaper and lots of fun!

NorbertDentressangle Fri 28-Mar-14 13:14:31

Hire a childrens DJ?

For example there's one near us that does all sorts of games, dancing competitions etc as well as the usual straightforward disco with lights and bubble machine.

GuineaPigGaiters Fri 28-Mar-14 13:17:23

Bouncy castle, bubble machine, a couple of giant balloons for them to bat around. Musical bumps/statues type game and food. This has been the staple for parties for dc2 this year who is coming up to reception age. They all love it.

MistyB Fri 28-Mar-14 13:25:45

Having 'stations' and 'teams' has worked really well at a couple of reception aged parties for us in the last few weeks. Each team had an adult or older child helper.

Treasure hunt, walk the plank, digging in a sand box for treasure and fishing plastic pirates from a bucket, and pin the treasure on the map for a pirates party and egg and spoon race, puppet show, juggling, tight rope walking, for a circus party. The kids collected bits of costume or little prizes for their party bag which they carried around at each activity and also had a craft table with a few options from Baker Ross. Inspired by a friend of mine and copied by me. They kids loved it!

All groups joined back up for pass the parcel, with two parcels to speed it up! and dancing games.

UniS Thu 03-Apr-14 10:28:16

kids disco with a Mix of music and party games.
Craft tables and have the kids rotate doing 10/15 mins at each table. could make and decorate party hats, drawing on a giant paper table cloth, paper bag puppets, balloon animals, paper aeroplanes.... have a paper plane flying game as well.

5madthings Thu 03-Apr-14 10:29:49

Children's Dj who does games etc is a popular choice here, also a face painter? I did that for ds4 one year and the kids loved it.

Bouncy castle, few games, and food.

BornToFolk Thu 03-Apr-14 11:38:46

I did a sports party in a hall for DS's 5th birthday. I was planning to do organised races etc but actually the kids were mostly happy just running about and playing with the stuff we'd brought.
DS got a goal for his birthday so we set that up, with a foam football. Then there were beanbags and buckets, egg and spoons, skipping ropes, hula hoops, balloons of course. I got a sport day kit that had the egg and spoons, beanbags and also sacks for sack races but these turned out not to be a great idea as the floor was slippery...blush

lizandlulu Thu 03-Apr-14 19:19:12

Music, bouncy castle, games, bubble machine if you up can get one, just plain blown up balloons provide great fun. As others have said. They just want to run about and be free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now