4.5 month old refusing feeds!!

(12 Posts)
Somethingpink Fri 14-Mar-14 22:41:19

My dd is 4.5months old and for the past few weeks she has been refusing her feeds but still very content. She still sleeps through 9-8 and is very happy but I'm just concerned that she isn't getting everything she needs. She currently weighs around 16lb so she is a good size. She has never been a big eater but now she is only having 3oz every 4-6 hours and nothing in the night. I have tried weaning her but unlike my other children she is just not interested sad Am I to worry or will she be fine?

sunshine1991 Sat 15-Mar-14 01:16:26

Seens fine enough dd was haveing about the same is she still gaining weight and haveing wet nappys ig yes shes fine it might be worth giveing water in a cup

ZuleikaD Sun 16-Mar-14 16:27:01

Do NOT give water. Is she still tracking her centile? That sounds like a tiny amount for a baby of that age to be eating. Have you tried a bottle with a faster teat? What does she do with the bottle - does she fuss or is she just not interested?

ExBrightonBell Sun 16-Mar-14 17:30:33

If you try a "dream" feed at night what happens? I agree with Zuleika that 3oz x 4 to 6 doesn't sound anywhere near enough milk. That's 12 to 18 oz, where I think the guidelines are about 35 oz ( eg 5 feeds in 24hrs of 7oz).

sunshine1991 Mon 17-Mar-14 20:50:25

I was told at the sick kids hospital that milk intakes based on weight then age tbh I see a lot of overweight babies about and I think that's why.the most important bit is weight gain and wet nappys 35 oz is far to much for an baby !!

ExBrightonBell Mon 17-Mar-14 20:58:58

Ah ok, sunshine, your observations of overweight babies and what you were told at the "sick kids" hospital is clearly more accurate than the NHS advice that water is only necessary in extreme hot weather (for ff babies), or perhaps if constipated.

My point about the 35oz was that the OPs baby is having less than half this. Which may not be a problem, but could be. I would probably track weight gain a bit more closely as result just to reassure myself that everything was ok.

sunshine1991 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:12:59

Babies are giveing to much milk. The water even doctors can't make there minds up about if its good or not. My dd sounds like the ops and she's was fine a and it sounds like ops is . weight gain is the key to is he he havering enough

ExBrightonBell Mon 17-Mar-14 21:20:53

Yep, of course, all babies are given too much milk...

I don't think that this is the OPs problem though, given her baby is taking a very much smaller amount of formula. Water won't help with this. There may well be nothing wrong, but it seems like it would be worth keeping a close eye for a while.

Smerlin Wed 19-Mar-14 20:26:41

For formula the recommended amount is 150ml- 200ml per kilo so a 6kg baby should have 900ml. My baby has always struggled to reach this amount - normally takes 100ml less than she 'should' due to fussing/refusing/reflux and she ended up being referred for failure to gain weight.

The amount you are feeding is under 600ml which is much less than a baby her age should be taking. She should take about a litre based on her weight (about 35oz as the other poster stated)

I would definitely see your GP to check nothing is wrong- probably nothing if she is content but I'd want to double check as it's been going on a while.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 19-Mar-14 20:33:56

Have you tried different temp or a faster teat?
My ds started refusing milk if it was warm at this age also seemed to get angry at his bottle. He has it cold or room temp milk and I'm sure that's when he was on size 3 teats.
He never finishes bottles either, and probably never drinks the recommended amount, but there isn't much you can do about it.

Smerlin Wed 19-Mar-14 20:44:47

Your DS sounds just like my DD yellowsnow - angry at the bottle and never finishing a feed!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 19-Mar-14 20:59:30

Smerlin he still never finishes bottles at 8 months, he does eat a lot thou, if he wasn't feeding himself I would be worried about over feeding him, but when he's full you know.
if I read the signals wrong and think he wants a bottle and he doesn't he won't open his mouth. Or drinks an oz then spits the teat out and sits up.Obviously knows his own mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now