Why is my three-year-old eating at the speed of light since starting nursery?

(3 Posts)

Since starting in January he's been stuffing his food into his mouth until he gags, it's like he's in a huge rush to finish. It's starting to concern me, so I spoke to the nursery and they tell me he eats perfectly normally there and assured me they give adequate time for the children to eat their lunch. So I'm really confused! Either their idea of 'perfectly normal speed' is breakneck or he's only doing it at home.

It makes it worse when I tell him to slow down, he looks at me and just keeps stuffing! He then complains of a tummy ache. It's such odd, sudden behaviour.

Any thoughts? sad

Theyaremysunshine Thu 13-Mar-14 20:22:43

My son comes home from preschool nursery absolutely famished, and exhausted. And I know they feed him!

I always take him something to eat on the way home - flapjack/cake/brioche etc. Doesn't put him off his tea.

Could he be stuffing quickly because he's massively hungry?

If that doesn't work you could video what he's doing at home and show it to the nursery workers and ask if that's what he does there.

QTPie Fri 14-Mar-14 09:04:36

Agree that nursery/preschool DOES tend to make them very hungry.

Also I think "it's a phase" - DS (4) does it - although short if choking... Think that he thinks it is clever... sad

Don't make too much of a thing of it and "it will pass" ( eventually)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now