How do you entertain your babies?

(10 Posts)
SunshineOnMe Tue 11-Mar-14 17:18:11

My DD is 4 months old and I'm just wondering what others do to entertain their LO's? We sing songs, she plays on her baby mat, sits in her chair when I'm showering, cooking etc. We also go to a couple of baby sessions each week. I'm just not sure if this is enough or whether I should be doing more to stimulate her during the day. Please share what you do when they are not sleeping or feeding. Thanks smile

andadietcoke Tue 11-Mar-14 17:21:48

Yep, that's all I do. Read a book occasionally if they'll sit still for long enough. Put them on their tummy, they go in their jumperoos (they're 6m), play with hand puppets. That's about it, I also worry about not doing the right things with them.

callamia Tue 11-Mar-14 17:22:19

It's fine!
Babies get so much stimulation from the world that you have to be pretty neglectful for them not to get enough. You're giving her social experiences, language development opportunities, and a chance to practice motor skills - there's not much else a baby really needs (love etc obv). As she gets older, you might want to read with her more, or maybe go swimming? You're doing a great job as you are though. Promise.

BigDogLittleDog Tue 11-Mar-14 19:04:30

Mine loves people and was getting bored with me sad so I make sure I get out every day - exciting things like going for a walk or popping to the supermarket! I give him things to hold as we go round and he gets super excited!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things to me and I'm sure your lo would let you know if they were bored! And then there's always peppe pig!

SourSweets Tue 11-Mar-14 19:31:25

I worry about this too, but honestly I don't think you need to be doing anything else at 4 months. Mine is 3 months older and the only extra things we do are swimming once a week and meal times which are a whole new world of excitement. Oh and we've just discovered the swings at our local park.

The only thing I'd suggest that mine loves are treasure baskets. You can change the contents every so often to keep them interesting. We have 4, wooden shapes, shiny things, fabric and bright plastics.

HandragsNGladbags Tue 11-Mar-14 19:33:05

Feed when needed, cuddle when needed, pop in chair/bouncer if they'll let you. Bit of tummy time.

IMO that's what makes a happy baby! Easier when you have an older child for them to watch smile

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:07:31

That sounds very similar to what we do smile

DS is 15 weeks and we have stories (room on the broom is a favourite), play together with his toys, he goes on his playmat and sits in his bouncer while I cook/tidy the kitchen.

We go somewhere everyday (largely because I can't stand sitting in all day but that's just me) it might be a group in the church hall/children's centre/supermarket/meeting daddy for lunch/seeing a relative or a walk in the village or garden centre.

He seems to like going out just as much as I do!

I think at this age what you're doing is great x

SunshineOnMe Thu 13-Mar-14 11:46:32

Thanks all - good to know you are all doing similar things. I end up questioning everything and whether I'm doing the right thing for DD! I might try taking her swimming soon and I love the idea of treasure baskets. Thanks xx

Smerlin Thu 13-Mar-14 23:15:40

I also recommend swimming. We are waiting for our swimming course to start next week but in the meantime we took DD who is 4.5 months to the local super heated pool to an open parent and baby session. We were only in the pool for 15 mins to get her used to it but she seemed to enjoy it!

She is very sociable too so her favourite things are gurgling at other babies and blowing raspberries endlessly at us!

BigDogLittleDog Fri 14-Mar-14 11:32:47

soursweets treasure baskets! What a fantastic idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now